cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3850-48T Install Mode - Software Install - Failure

Tammy L. Burley
Level 1
Level 1

Upon initiating the "software install flash:x new force" command to install the 385MB OS the switch tells me I need 395140KB of memeory but with dir flash: I see I have 910249984 bytes free.  As you can see I have 2x the space needed.

With install mode I don't know what, if any, of these other .pkg files on the flash I could delete to make more room available.   I'm not sure if it needs more than the 395Mb to expand then install or if there is something else going on.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

hi Mark - thanks for the earlier support. 

I booted from a fat32 USB stick, deleted all the pkg files, put the .bin on the flash and rebooted.  Crazy that this switch, 1.6Gig, with default install mode and nominal configs with the conf.pkg didn't have enough memory to upgrade.

r/

Tammy

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hi
you need 1GB of space for install mode as it expands all the files its in the release notes when using install on a 3k at least that must be available for INSTALL

do a software clean of the old file not in use

From 1 of the docs

Step 1. Remove Unwanted Packages

Note: Do not skip this step. Ensure that you have at least 1GB of space in flash to expand a new image. Clean up old installation files in case of insufficient space.

Shoot - that's not mentioned anywhere in this doc: 

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3850/software/release/16-6/release_notes/ol-16-6-3850.html#pgfId-1432370

Let me give that a whirl.

thanks,

Tammy

hi Mark - thanks for the earlier support. 

I booted from a fat32 USB stick, deleted all the pkg files, put the .bin on the flash and rebooted.  Crazy that this switch, 1.6Gig, with default install mode and nominal configs with the conf.pkg didn't have enough memory to upgrade.

r/

Tammy

Glad you got it sorted

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

As i remember one of the post was have same issue, because of the size, he can not compact the image.

then the user contact TAC, so they given compacted image for upgrade. Nor sure is this case with you the same.

Can you show us what is the current version, what version you looking to upgrade.

can you post dir output.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

luis_cordova
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi @Tammy L. Burley ,

Check what this guide says:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-3850-series-switches/117552-technote-cat3850-00.html#anc5

Flash Cleanup

Residual files remain in the flash from previous versions. If you want to clean up the residual files, you can enter the software clean command instead of a manual deletion of the files. This purges the files that the switch no longer needs in order to operate from the flash of each stack member. 

Regards

Thank you for the info.
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card