cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3850 Datasheet is up

Gregory Snipes
Level 4
Level 4

Cisco has put up the data sheet for the new 3850 switches.

What do you all think about this new unified wired/wireless concept?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Depends on whether or not you want to deploy 802.11ac.

Unified Wireless, in my opinion, is to try to keep local traffic local.  The bandwidth consumed by 802.11ac traffic is huge.  If you have a 1 Gbps uplink to the core/distro switch, this will overwhelm your LAN.  So this is why the APs have to be terminated on the 3850 switch and nothing else.  The 3850 will act as Mobility Access and strip away CAPWAP stuff before packing and shipping the traffic upstream. 

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

EvaldasOu
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Gregory,

I think that's great. Can't wait to get hands on it !

Also it is cool that these c3850's will be IOS based wireless controllers.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Depends on whether or not you want to deploy 802.11ac.

Unified Wireless, in my opinion, is to try to keep local traffic local.  The bandwidth consumed by 802.11ac traffic is huge.  If you have a 1 Gbps uplink to the core/distro switch, this will overwhelm your LAN.  So this is why the APs have to be terminated on the 3850 switch and nothing else.  The 3850 will act as Mobility Access and strip away CAPWAP stuff before packing and shipping the traffic upstream. 

Yes, I think bandwidth is the key here. Even without AC, in a large deployment you can really eat up bandwidth at your wireless controller. Since you need to bring it in though a tunnel and then maybe turn it around and send it right back out the same pipe.

I also feel it's really nice that the wireless traffic will be handled just like wired traffic right out of the access switch (unless you roam). It should help streamline troubleshooting.

Also don't forget that the data sheet for the new WLC 5760 is also out.

I had a close look at the data sheet for the 3850 and it states that CURRENTLY, you can only stack 4 3850 to form a single logical switch.  Future IOS release will allow this limitation to go up to nine.

Anyone trying to read the Release Notes for the 3850, please be aware that there are some errors to the supported APs:  There is no such thing (or no such SKU) as a single-radio 1601/2601/3601. 

jmandersson
Level 1
Level 1

Yepp, like the more logic trafic flow. And like the other guys wrote, bandwith! Just look at the new stacking technology, 480 Gbps.

But what about the features for a virtualized environment? The datasheet mentions vrf-lite support, but not how many? A wild guess: 26-32... I miss EVN in the datasheet. I really hope we doesn't have to wait for EVN?

Hi Team

What the diferrent WS-C3850-48F-S and WS-C3850-48P-S, is there for the part WS-C3850-48P-S not full POE ?

Thanks

Hi Jeff,

WS-C3850-48P-S

Stackable 48 10/100/1000 Ethernet PoE+ ports, with 715WAC power supply
1 RU, IP Base feature set

WS-C3850-48F-S

Stackable 48 10/100/1000 Ethernet PoE+ ports, with 1100WAC power supply
1 RU, IP Base feature set

Ref:http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps12686/data_sheet_c78-720918.html

HTH

REgards

Inayath

Hi Inayath

so the difference only the power supply and the avialable POE Power, right ?

Thanks

Hi Jeffry,

Yes thats the only thing.

Regards

Inayath

Guys, there is nice datasheet to compare models:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps12686/prod_models_comparison.html

By the way, guys, how C3850 can provide full POE+ up to 30W per port?

1100W/48 ~ 22W per port...

Did you get any infos about

max number of supported VRFs ( 3750-x suported up to 26 vrfs)

max number of OSPF processes ( in how many of the vrfs we can run OSPF)

availability of EVN on 3850

Thx in Advance

Hubert

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card