cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3850 License upgrade to IP services

AFlack20
Level 1
Level 1

I have what I hope is a simple question. I need to upgrade my 3850's to IP Services, from IP Base. The license sku that is listed in some Cisco documentation to do this is L-C3850-24-S-E but when I enter that sku in the Cisco commerce site nothing comes up.

Does anyone know what the proper SKU would be?

19 Replies 19

jessieo
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Leo,

Thank you for responding.

I have not seen a CatOS before and I am wondering how it would appear if I typed #show version 

command on a switch. 

Do you have any idea how it would appear?

cat4500e-ENTSERVICESK9-M Ver.15.2(2)E3 is IOS right?

That is Cisco IOS.

jessieo
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Leo,

I have a question similar to the original question on this thread.

1. When I replace a switch with the same switch model, and upgrade the license from LAN Base to either IP Base or IP Services, will the copied configuration files run normally regardless of the type of license?

2. Will the configuration file also run normally if I replace the switch with one that has more number of ports?

Thank you.

@jessieo wrote:

1. When I replace a switch with the same switch model, and upgrade the license from LAN Base to either IP Base or IP Services, will the copied configuration files run normally regardless of the type of license?

Config will auto-magically "distributed" to all switches in the same stack.  

@jessieo wrote:

2. Will the configuration file also run normally if I replace the switch with one that has more number of ports?

As long as the switch member is able to join the existing stack, the config will work.  Think of it like joining a "club" or "fraternity".  Once you are in, you get all the "privileges".  

jessieo
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you for responding swiftly Leo

Although your response is informative, my question was actually for a non-stackable switch.

I am worried that when I copy the config files and vlan.dat file and replace the switch with one that has a higher license, or even more switch ports, the config file may not run because the license is different or simply because the new switch has more ports.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card