Views
Helpful
Replies

4500X-16 VSS issues

sdawson35
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We have a pair of 4500X-16's running in VSS mode, we have an issue that when the primary fails we lose all external routing.

They are running a comparatively old IOS version - 3.6.3E (ROM 15.0(1r) SG12)and I know that has some bugs in in it so maybe a contributing factor ?

We have 2 interfaces from our ISP 1 in the primary and 1 in the secondary , these are trunked vlan ports.

interface TenGigabitEthernet1/1/16
description *** Primary link ***
switchport trunk native vlan 66
switchport mode trunk

----------------------------------

interface TenGigabitEthernet2/1/16
description *** Secondary link ***
switchport trunk native vlan 66
switchport mode trunk

-------------------------------

vlan 66
name VM_Vlan

-------------------------------

interface Vlan66
description Router_Vlan
ip address 172.31.1.217 255.255.255.248

---------------------------------

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 172.31.1.218

--------------------------------

I am only guessing but believe the issue not to be with the 4500 but the ISP ?

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I'm going to take a guess and say "upgrade" the firmware first.

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

As suggested upgrade the IOS, also like to see your network topology, how you connected these switches to ISP network ?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

mnagired
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

For Sub-Second convergence with VSS, you need a routing protocol neighbor ship and NSF/Graceful restart enabled.. From the configs shared, i only notice a Static route configured and with static routing you cant achieve a sub-second convergence.. 

Regards

Mahesh N

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

This is not an IOS, hardware or software issue.  This is most likely a design issue. If you have 2 different ISP, how is that that your static route is pointing to one IP only?  What is design look like? Most ISPs don't do layer-2 with their customers, I am curious how you are connected to the providers. Are these ISPs providing your Internet access?

HTH

Not 2 different ISP's , the same ISP, Primary and secondary routers 1 into each of the 4500's .

I have included a basic Visio diagram , might help.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card