cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

4506 report question

cissstc13
Level 1
Level 1

I am really new to cisco switches and I am running into a problem where my intel gigabit adapters are connecting at 100mbs/half duplex.  The PC is set to autonegotiate but I am not sure what the switch ports are set too.  I want to ask our telecom group if they could give me a report which shows all the ports on the switch and what they are linking at or at least configured at.   I am trying to figure out an easy way to script this from the desktop but I was wondering if there was a method that can generate a report from the switch maybe as a PDF or some type of txt format.  I am responsible for the desktops so I have limited access to any switches.  Any input on this matter I would appreciate.   Our PC's are running a mix of XP and vista with a mix of network cards (mostly broadcom 57xx gigbit and the intel 82566DM-2 Gigabit and the intel 82567DM-2)

I know we can get this information from the switch if you check each individual port but there seems there should be a better way.   Maybe there is some type of network management software that is provided with the swtiches that would help?

15 Replies 15

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Steven

Just ask for them a "sh run" which will give you all the details you need including the config for each port. If there is configuration under each port for the speed and duplex then you can assume they auto-negotiated.

Jon

Is there a way to dump that to a text file or some type of output file.

Yes, if the person who is logged onto the switch with hyperterm for example there is an option within hyperterm to capture all the screen output to a text file. I used to do this all the time with firewall rules for some of our apps people.

Jon

Ok that sounds great.  I am going to try to talk with them about it.  Problem is they don't want anyone telling them how to do their job.

One more question.  Any suggestion on network management software that we could buy/demo that might show a GUI interface or at least report some decent network statistics

Thanks again.

Actually Mike makes a very good point (+5) in that they may be reluctant to share the full config and as you can see from the output the "sh interface status" is actually telling you all the info you need.

As for network monitoring, well we used to use CiscoWorks but that is expensive and quite complex to set up. I have also used SolarWinds to monitor switches/routers but a lot does depend on what you want to see.

Jon

Steven,

They may not to give you the running-config, us network switch guys a protective like that , but they could also give you the output of this command..... Show Interface Status

and here is what you would get

Gi2/1     Desktop_Phone      notconnect   109          auto   auto 10/100/1000-TX
Gi2/2     Desktop_Phone      connected    109        a-full a-1000 10/100/1000-TX
Gi2/3     Desktop_Phone      connected    109        a-full a-1000 10/100/1000-TX
Gi2/4     Desktop_Phone      connected    109        a-full a-1000 10/100/1000-TX
Gi2/5     Desktop_Phone      connected    109        a-full a-1000 10/100/1000-TX
Gi2/6     Desktop_Phone      connected    109        a-full a-1000 10/100/1000-TX
Gi2/7     Desktop_Phone      connected    109        a-full a-1000 10/100/1000-TX
Gi2/8     Desktop_Phone      connected    109        a-full a-1000 10/100/1000-TX
Gi2/9     Desktop_Phone      connected    109        a-full a-1000 10/100/1000-TX
Gi2/10    Desktop_Phone      connected    109        a-full  a-100 10/100/1000-TX
Gi2/11    Desktop_Phone      connected    109        a-full a-1000 10/100/1000-TX
Gi2/12    Desktop_Phone      connected    109        a-full a-1000 10/100/1000-TX
Gi2/13    Desktop_Phone      notconnect   109          auto   auto 10/100/1000-TX
Gi2/14    Desktop_Phone      connected    109        a-full a-1000 10/100/1000-TX
Gi2/15    Desktop_Phone      notconnect   109          auto   auto 10/100/1000-TX
Gi2/16    Desktop_Phone      notconnect   109          auto   auto 10/100/1000-TX
Gi2/17    Desktop_Phone      notconnect   109          auto   auto 10/100/1000-TX
Gi2/18    Desktop_Phone      notconnect   109          auto   auto 10/100/1000-TX
Gi2/19    Desktop_Phone      notconnect   109          auto   auto 10/100/1000-TX
Gi2/20    Desktop_Phone      notconnect   109          auto   auto 10/100/1000-TX

I think that would give you what you needed

Mike

That would be good and the best way to dump that into a file is to cut and paste or use hyperterminal to capture screens?   You would think you could run some type of report or use some type of software that would output this in a nice format

Steven

Well you can ie. you can use Perl (a scripting language) to automatically login to switches, gather the output and format it how you want as Perl is very good at this but watch your network guys choke on their sandwiches when you request permission to login to their switches with their username/passwords

Jon

Sorry posted before I expalined...

This port means it is Auto see the "a-"

Gi2/11    Desktop_Phone      connected    109        a-full a-1000 10/100/1000-TX

This port means it is hard set to 100/full - notice no "a-"
Gi2/12    Desktop_Phone      connected    109          full      100 10/100/1000-TX

Mike

There are a bunch of ways to export this and the switch guys should be able to that for you. I give it out to our local support guys all the time.

Mike

I will try to mention this without sounding like I am trying to do there job.    Any input on network management software.  I have heard of ciscoworks

that was previously mentioned and I have also heard it's expensive.   Any suggestions?

I appreciate all of your reponses.

I am also concerned they are not running the most current IOS.   I am not sure if these switches have any firmware updates as well that haven't been applied.

cissstc13 wrote:

I will try to mention this without sounding like I am trying to do there job.    Any input on network management software.  I have heard of ciscoworks

that was previously mentioned and I have also heard it's expensive.   Any suggestions?

I appreciate all of your reponses.

I am also concerned they are not running the most current IOS.   I am not sure if these switches have any firmware updates as well that haven't been applied.

Switches don't always have the latest and greatest IOS, it all depends on whether you

a) find a bug in your current IOS that affects you

or

b) you need a new feature in a later release.

Also be aware that firmware upgrades are not really like hardware upgrades for NICs etc. on PCs. Firmware upgrades are quite rare on switches and are not a common occurence and there is no equivalent of "patches", you simply upgrade the IOS.

Jon

Thanks.  I am really concerned about our desktops.  I ran into two problems recently where I had users who couldn't save files (excel 2007) to a network drive.  After going crazy I checked the duplex settings and the NIC was set to autonegotiate but was connecting at 100/half.  Once I switched it from Autonegotiate to 100/full everything worked fine.  I don't want to hardcode the 500 pc's in this building because if we ever decide to go to a gig then I have to manually go around and set them.  I have read that if the switch is hardcoded to 100/full and the PC is set to auto then this can occur.  The solution to my problem might be to have telecom check to make sure that their end is set to auto and see what happens then.

Again thanks for all the input.

Is there any reason why if we have a switch that is capable of handling a gig we wouldn't turn that on.  I might be missing something but if we have network cards that can handle a gig and a switch that can handle a gig I don't see why we wouldn't use that.  Is there some type of overhead or something I am missing.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: