cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

4948 E HSRP Configuration question

ALIAOF_
Level 6
Level 6

If I setup 4948E's in HSRP configuration.  And I connect devices to the Standby Unit that do not require redundancy.  Will there be any issues passing traffic?  I don't believe that standby unit blocks the traffic but wanted to confirm.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

It will work. With HSRP, one box will hold the virtual IP (192.168.0.1) and will respond to ARP requests for this IP. Your server when trying to access the gateway will send traffic to the MAC of the VIP which will be held by the active unit. Normal switching will occur ensuring the packets get to the right box

hope this helps

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The standby unit will not block traffic, but you'll need to set up the default gateway to the real address of the secondary unit. Otherwise, if you were to set it up to the virtual address, HSRP would hand out it's virtual MAC address that resolved to the vIP address you assigned for the hsrp group.

HTH,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

Rick Morris
Level 6
Level 6

With the traffic you are referencing I am assuming you will not be pointing said traffic to the VIP.  In HSRP you will define the DG as the VIP.  In order to bypass this you will need to specify another default gateway.  If you wanted to have traffic go to both places you could create 2 standby groups and then group 1 active on switch A and group 2 active on switch B.  This will allow failover traffic in any case.  With a 4948 you would also run GLBP which is a bit better and allow you to use both systems in a "active/active" state.

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You are making your setup more confusing than it needs to be by not pointing to the hsrp active side as well as troubleshooting issues down the road.

ALIAOF_
Level 6
Level 6

Thank you for the replies guys good points however I'm not looking for that.  What I meant is the following:

4948SW-A --> 192.168.0.2

4948SW-B --> 192.168.0.3

Now HSRP IP for both of them is 192.168.0.1.  So all that is great.  Now lets say I connect a server with an IP of 192.168.1.10 (VLAN10) just for an example to the 4948SW-B (192.168.0.3) which is the standby switch.  Will that traffic still pass?

I do like the GLBP option though I might go with the active/active option depending on how it works though but have to look more into it.

It will work. With HSRP, one box will hold the virtual IP (192.168.0.1) and will respond to ARP requests for this IP. Your server when trying to access the gateway will send traffic to the MAC of the VIP which will be held by the active unit. Normal switching will occur ensuring the packets get to the right box

hope this helps

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card