Views
Helpful
Replies

4G, EHWIC-4G-LTE-V compatable with 3G

Patrick McHenry
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

Is the 4G module for the 2951, EHWIC-4G-LTE-V compatable with 3G?  If I deploy this module in a area that doesn't yet have 4G coverage, will I  be able to use the 3G service that is available and does it choose 3G automatically if 4G is not available.

Thanks, Pat.     

9 Replies 9

nspasov
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Patrick-

Did you ever get your question answered? I just deployed this card and I am having issues in non 4G areas...

Neno,

That is concerning to me because I going to be deploying one of them in an area that doesn't have 4G but, the Cisco documentaion says they are compatible with 3G. Also, Verizon assured me that it would be able to dropped down to 3G. Did you open a TAC? I'm going to try configuring one today. I've been a little confused about the documentation. It says you need an apn, username, and password from your carriier but, Verizon said that is only if you use a static IP. As far as the config is concerned - could you paste you 4G config. I would like to have as many examples as possible.

Is there a way of testing the 3G even if there is 4G in the area? For instance, is there a command to only allow 3G connection on the 4G module? If so, I will test my card for you.

Thanks, Pat.

Hello Patrick-

I used the configurations from the following link and was able to get the card going:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/access/interfaces/software/feature/guide/EHWIC-4G-LTESW.html

However, as soon as the mobile unit travelled to an area outside 4G the router lost connectivity. I called Verizon and after speaking to their T1 and T2 support I was not able to get a clear answer. According to Cisco's documentation the card is backwards compatible with 3G and 2G as long as you have the right antena:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/modules/ps5949/ps11540/qa_c67-641302.pdf

In that document they also talk about the card losing connection to the Verizon network and requiring manual intervention to restore connectivity. They are also pointing to a restoration script that can be used that I am going to try as well.

On a side note, I also came across this link and it does somewhat worry me as what one of the users is describing is exactly what we are experiencing:

https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/759520

I will post more info as it becomes available

P.S. I am not aware of commands that can test each radio/band independantly...

Neno,

It seems my antennas that came with the module are good for 4G and 3G but, I wonder...do I have add any kind of config to the interface to make it connect via 3G? When configured a 3G interface on an 881 router, I used ppp instead of slip.

Thanks

Sorry for the delayed reply Patrick!

You don't need to use ppp instead of slip. We also used ppp with our 3G card but with the 4G the configurations clearly state that you need to use slip. Also, I can now confirm that we were able to eliminate the connectivity issue by following the instructions and applying the scripts from the second link that I posted above:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/modules/ps5949/ps11540/qa_c67-641302.pdf

The direct download for the scripts and instructions:

http://www.cisco.com/cisco/software/release.html?mdfid=283733571&softwareid=284194160&release=LTE_RECOVERY_1.0&relind=AVAILABLE&rellifecycle=&reltype=latest

Good luck and thank you for rating!

Thanks for the response.

I got the 4G working as a back up interface in Dallas and it works great. I have an IP SLA tracking a ping from the primary TW cable connection. When it goes down it triggers an Event Manager script and brings up the 4G.

Not sure if you answered my question or not. though Are you saying that if I have the 4G working with slip - there is no more config I have to do for the card to drop down to 3G when 4G is not available?

Thanks, Pat.

So I wanted to get some more testing done before I replied. I really wanted to drive around with the mobile router (between 3G and 4G) areas and see exactly what happens. Unfortunately, though I never got the chance to do it . To answer your question: No, you don't need any ppp configurations on the top of slip (well at least we did not). In fact, I don't think the router would let you do the two as you can only have one type of encapsulation for the interface. If memory serves me right, if you try to add slip based commands to a ppp configured interface, you get an error message advising you to "remove legacy commands" I suppose if you use dialer interfaces on the top of the cellular one then you may be able to have one with slip configurations and another with ppp but I would not bet on it until it is tried Also, I am no longer at that customer so I can't really do any additonal testing but if I hear more info back from them I will be sure to post it here.

Thanks for the reply - Our Seattle site came up with the 4G no problem. I was told they didn't have any 4G in the area yet but, I was given bad info.

Needless to say I wasn't able to see if the card dropped to 3G.

I know this is a little old but I will add what I know. I have been testing these 4G cards since September 2011 or so. Originally I could *only* get 4G to work because VZW did not have the ESN's in their system so I could simply swap out the SIM card. Sometime during spring '12 VZW finally approved the cards and the ESN's went active. Since 3G is CDMA based and 4G is GSM you must have the correct ESN provisioned with VZW for the 3G to work. So, if you simply took a active 4G SIM from a device and put it in the WIC card this could be why you see your 4G work fine and then when in a non-4G area you can't go backwards to 3G.

I know that may be very basic information to many and you may already know all this, but with so little user documentation out there on these cards I figured I would add that so maybe it will help you or maybe it will help future users.

On the subject of the cards not connecting and staying at -125db I too have this problem. Of my 7 or so cards in production I have seen this occur on every one of them, so when Cisco says "a small subset" I think may a bit optimistic on their part. My cards were purchased over a 4 month period so I don't think they all came from the same lot, etc. According to TAC, a similar problem existed originally with the 3G version of these cards and it took a while for our lovely FCC to approve some changes to fix it. Below is the SLA commands I use to keep mine up:

event manager applet cell_rset authorization bypass

event track 234 state down

action a syslog msg "EEM Cellular modem reset"

action b cli command "enable"

action c cli command "config terminal"

action d cli command "service internal"

action e cli command "end"

action f cli command "test cellular 0/0/0 modem-power-cycle"

action g cli command "wait 10"

action h cli command "end"

action i cli command "ping x.x.x.x"

action j cli command "clear crypto session"

!

track 234 ip sla 2 reachability

delay down 10

!

ip sla 2

icmp-echo x.x.x.x source-interface Cellular 0/0/0

frequency 5

ip sla schedule 2 life forever start-time now

Simply change x.x.x.x to an IP address that is accessible from your 4G card. Action J is for my system because I use the card to create IPSEC tunnel. If you are doing the same I suggest you keep this in there as I had numerous issues with the tunnel not coming back up after the recovery ran. Don't know why - maybe it is something I have wrong.

In my case my WIC is always live and has a few specific route statements in there that direct specific traffic over the 4G connection all the time, so if you are doing the same make sure your x.x.x.x address is *always* set to go across the 4G, otherwise you will be testing your primary WAN connection and not the 4G, so you will never know if the 4G is up or down. 

Occasionally this script will not fix the problem - in my experience this is less than one time per month, per device.  I do not take the script all the way to a reload because it isn't worth it to kick my users out to fix it. I do have Nagios running that monitors the status of the card and sends me a warning when it is reporting "Dormant" and then I can schedule a manual reload which in all cases has cleared the problem and returned the device to a working state.

Maybe this helps - maybe it doesn't.

John

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card