cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

6500 sup2 msfc2 udp verfiy length for vmware cluster ha packets

h.wall
Level 1
Level 1

Im having a issue with having a full vmware cluster(3 servers) running on 6509 switches sup2 msfc2. The problem is due to the HA packets. From what i hear the issue is the ip payload is less then the udp length. The cisco nexus 7000 command is below. I not getting the nexus 7000 until next year due to budget. Any help would be appreciated,

cisco nexus 7000 command

no platform ip verify length maximum udp

3 Replies 3

andtoth
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

The 'platform ip verify' command which you are referring to is the IDS feature on the Nexus 7000 which is introduced only in the Nexus switches. These IDS checks are not available on the 6500 platform, so most likely you're having some other issue here.

How are the cluster members connected? Are they connected to the same 6500 switch?

What kind of issue are you observing, what are the symptoms?

When did you start seeing this issue?

Was is it working before or is this a new setup?

What has changed in the network or configuration when you started to see this?

Can you ping the cluster members from each other? Does it work?

What other troubleshooting steps have you been through?

Best regards,

Andras

My server group has corrected the issue. It had nothing to do with the 6500 which. I think the vm engineer sent us on a wild good chase. What he said in emails im including below but dont agree with. I thought he had an issue with HA due to active/active mac addresses. I will follow up with what they say they changed. Thank you again. 

If so, this switch may see IP being dropped by the switch is the IP payload is less than the UDP packet length as VMware HA packets are fragmented when they are received by the switch.

Hi,

If the 6500 is acting as Layer-2 switch only, it should not drop such packets. In case of Layer-3 routing, it might find the IP header corrupted then it could drop the packet, however I've not seen the actual packets nor the configuration so it's hard to tell. It would be great to know what changes they have made exactly to get this working.

Best regards,

Andras

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card