Helpful
Replies

6509 - Troubleshoot faulty module

derrick_ward
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

I believe I have a faulty module on a cisco 6509

I would like to confirm the troubleshooting process / commands for checking / re-seating the faulty module.

Would the commands listed below be correct. The module is module 2 on switch 1. We have 2 6509 switches running VSS.

#hw-module module 2 shutdown
physically re-seat module 2
#sh module
#hw-module switch 1 module 2 reset
#diagnostic start switch 1 module 2
# show diagnostic content module 2
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Derrick,

Yes, you can physical reseat of the module will help to function properly. You could you disable the power to the moulde, then perform the physical reseat and enable power again.

Physical reseat of the moudle is more than enough to perform the health check and if you enable the diagnostic bootup level as COMPLETE state, it will perform all the test while module booting. You need not perform any soft reseat after you perform hard reseat of the module.

If you would like to run non disruptive test after the module come online, you could do the following test as one option.

#diagnostic start switch # module # test non-disruptive port all

If you would like to perform any specific test, please go through this below doc, which helps you to understand better,

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps708/prod_white_paper0900aecd801e659f.html

Regards,

Aru

*** Please rate if the post is useful ***

Regards, Aru *** Please rate if the post useful ***

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Arumugam Muthaiah
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Derrick,

Please see the some commands to verify the module status as well as troubleshoot

VSS# show module switch all - Provides module detail from both 6509 switch

VSS# show module switch # - Provides the module detail from specific switch number

VSS# show module switch # version - Provides the all the module Hardware, Software, Firmware and serial number detail

VSS# show module switch # slot # - Provides specific module from either switch 1 or switch 2

VSS# hw-module switch # module # reset

Example:

TEST-VSS# hw-module switch 2 module 2 reset

Proceed with reload of module?[confirm]

% reset issued for module 2/2

VSS(config)# diagnostic bootup level complete - This will set the diagnostic bootup level in COMPLETE state which helps to perform all the hardware and internal communication test while module bootup time

VSS# show diagnostic bootup level - To verify the diagnostic bootup level status
Current bootup diagnostic level: complete

VSS# show diagnostic result switch # module # detail - This will provide the module health after soft or hard reset

Please inform me if you need more clarification.

Regards,

Aru

Will physically re-seating the module help "flapping" issues I have been having with the ports on the module i.e. the ports are constantly showing going up and down.

If I am going to physically re-seat the module do I need to issue the following commands;

(config)#no power enable switch 1 module 2

then physically re-seat the module. i.e. remove the module then re-insert the module

(config)#power enable switch 1 module 2

Once the module is confirmed as powered up through the following command;

#sh module

I will then reset the module through the following command;

#hw-module switch 1 module 2 reset

I would then like to carry out non-intrusive diagnostics as this is a live switch.

Can you advise on the diagnostic command.  I believe the command is as follows;

#diagnostic start switch 1 module 2

Hi Derrick,

Yes, you can physical reseat of the module will help to function properly. You could you disable the power to the moulde, then perform the physical reseat and enable power again.

Physical reseat of the moudle is more than enough to perform the health check and if you enable the diagnostic bootup level as COMPLETE state, it will perform all the test while module booting. You need not perform any soft reseat after you perform hard reseat of the module.

If you would like to run non disruptive test after the module come online, you could do the following test as one option.

#diagnostic start switch # module # test non-disruptive port all

If you would like to perform any specific test, please go through this below doc, which helps you to understand better,

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps708/prod_white_paper0900aecd801e659f.html

Regards,

Aru

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card