Views
Helpful
Replies

9200 / 9200L stacking

aypopoff
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All

How much stacking kits required for stacking ONE pair of  Cat 9200 (or pair of 9200L) ?

Every Stacking kit  includes TWO stacking adapters and one stacking cable.

So  is it enough One staking kit to stack One pair of Cat 9200(or pair of 9200L) ?

(supposing that Data Stack with Half Bandwidth is OK)

Whether two-unit stack will work, if only one stack adapter inserted in each of two units?

8 Replies 8

Jaderson Pessoa
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

@aypopoff Hello,

2 module and 1 cable will put your device in stack, but you wont have high availability, because of it is recommended to get 2 module and 2 cables.

Look commended connection by cisco:

best practices.PNG

More information here: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-9200-series-switches/nb-06-stackwise-architecture-cte-en.html

Jaderson Pessoa
*** Rate All Helpful Responses ***

@Jaderson Pessoa wrote:

@aypopoff Hello,

2 module and 1 cable will put your device in stack, but you wont have high availability, because of it is recommended to get 2 module and 2 cables.

Hi, thank you for response.

But the main question is:

>> Whether two-unit stack will work, if only one stack adapter inserted in each of two units?

Key words - "two-unit stack"

No HA required in two-unit stack (except perhaps cross-stack uplinks, but the question is not about that)

So whether two-unit stack brings up, if only one stack adapter inserted in each of two units?

I could not find in documentation neither prohibition nor permission to leave one stack slot blank...

therefore the question

Yes, you can use it plug only one cable and one adapter. But Cisco's recommends
"When these switches are deployed in stack configuration mode, we recommend maintaining the same uplink
connection design principle as a dual stack-member system".

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-9300-series-switches/white-paper-c11-741468.pdstackcable.PNG

Jaderson Pessoa

Hello

Yes stacking will work with just one stack cable between the two switches, however the backplane will only be running at half of its applicable ring speed as you wont have a full closed ring:

sh switch stack-ring speed
sh switch stack-port sum

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

>> Yes stacking will work with just one stack cable between the two switches

Yes,  I know, one stack cable between two switches is just case of unclosed ring.

And it covered in documentation.

What about only one stack adapter in each of two switches?

whether two-unit stack brings up ?

Do you see this on practice? or maybe you have other confirmation   (Excuse me, I'm paranoid :)))

salamshina
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, Can a stack module for Cisco Catalyst 3650 work with 9200l?

far as i know.. it is not possible, since they are different models, ios and so on.

Look this:

Restrictions for Switch Stacks

The following are the restrictions for switch stack configuration:

• A switch stack can have up to eight stacking-capable switches connected through their StackWise ports.

• Only homogenous stacking is supported, that is, a stack of Cisco Catalyst 9200 Series Switches with only Cisco Catalyst 9200 Series Switches as stack members.

• You cannot have a switch stack containing a mix of different license levels.

• Do not stack Cisco Catalyst 9200L Series Switches with Cisco Catalyst 9200 Series Switches.

• C9200-24PB and C9200-48PB switch models can only be stacked with each other and not with other models of the Cisco Catalyst 9200 Series Switches.

• During a switchover, when the standby device syncs with the active device, the following log message is displayed on the console:

Jaderson Pessoa

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I believe it should work.

Basically you've creating a "broken" dual connection set-up.

As already noted in prior replies, you lose half your ring bandwidth and have lost redundancy.  On the last point, if the single ring connection fails, but one of the switches does not, you'll have two physical devices believing the are the device.  (The latter is often NOT a good thing.)

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card