Views
Helpful
Replies

9407 as a distribution switch to 3850 access layer switches

DamianRC
Level 1
Level 1

Hello.

We needed to build a special "one-off" network for a project important enough to warrant it, but not important enough to spend a ton of money on.

The decision was made to purchase a 9407, due to its' modular/chassis design, to function as a distribution layer for 10x access layer 3850s. The heavy duty traffic will likely remain local to the 3850s, with only administrative and management traffic crossing the 9407 boundary.

Are there any potential issues with this design?

Thank you

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

shah
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Stackwise Virtual is available on 16.9.1 today for Catalyst 9400.  https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst9400/software/release/16-9/release_notes/ol-16-9-9400.html

If Stackwise Virtual is not used, HSRP is always an option as well in the aggregation.

View solution in original post

If you are using a single chassis, HSRP or VRRP is not an option. If you can't have 2 chassis than make sure you have dual Sups and dual PSUs in the same chassis.

HTH

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

nazimkha
Level 4
Level 4
The 9407 is a single point of failure. I would prefer using Nexus Core in vPC or Catalyst 9500 is stackwise virtual (VSS). But it all depends on the requirements

The chassis is outfitted with dual power supplies and supervisors, so I don't think redundancy is a huge issue. Again, management didn't want to spend a ton.

I suppose the question pertains to the 9407's ability to function as a distribution in this particular design. Is the 9407 an access layer solution only, or will perform adequately for this use case?

Thank you.

It depends upon the sizing and scaling requirements for your network. Functionality wise the 9407 can work as a distribution switch but I would look at the over subscription and scale numbers just to be sure
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-9400-series-switches/datasheet-c78-739054.html

shah
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Stackwise Virtual is available on 16.9.1 today for Catalyst 9400.  https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst9400/software/release/16-9/release_notes/ol-16-9-9400.html

If Stackwise Virtual is not used, HSRP is always an option as well in the aggregation.

Awesome!

So what I thing you are saying is that the 9407 will function just fine as a distribution switch in this application. Is this correct?

I'll be sure to go through the doc.

Thank you!

If you are using a single chassis, HSRP or VRRP is not an option. If you can't have 2 chassis than make sure you have dual Sups and dual PSUs in the same chassis.

HTH

Thank you
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: