Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Accessing Windows share (netbios) in an other VLAN

Hello everybody.

I'm having some trouble with a network setup I'm trying to deploy.

The thing is, I have VLAN 10 in which my clients are located (172.22.3.0/24) and they need to access Windows shares located at 172.16.1.100 (other VLAN, other subnet /16).

Actually it is failing when I try to do \\windowsserver\share on the Windows client. But if I type \\172.16.1.100\share I get through it. With some packet sniffing I discovered that my clients sends out packets with destination 172.22.3.255 port 137 (netbios-ns). Am I right assuming this is a broadcast transmission, seeking for some netbios name server?

The only suggestion I found to work around this issue, is to set up some WINS server, which could be managing "inter-VLAN" netbios, because afair netbios is a *non-routable* protocol...

Can anybody please tell me what he/she thinks and how I could be solving this issue?

Kind regards,

F.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Flavio

Basically yes, your clients are trying to find a netbios name server to resolve the windows server name. A WINS server would indeed be the solution.

I've long since forgotten what little Windows knowledge i had but i thought WINS had been replaced by AD now ?

Edit - you could actually forward these requests on to the other vlan if you wanted but it would be better to have a WINS/AD server setup to cut down on the broadcasts.

Jon

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Flavio

Basically yes, your clients are trying to find a netbios name server to resolve the windows server name. A WINS server would indeed be the solution.

I've long since forgotten what little Windows knowledge i had but i thought WINS had been replaced by AD now ?

Edit - you could actually forward these requests on to the other vlan if you wanted but it would be better to have a WINS/AD server setup to cut down on the broadcasts.

Jon

Hello Jon.

I got another suggestion from one of my colleagues, which I'll be trying out next week. In fact, WINS is adviced NOT to be used anymore. I will try putting DNS Servers into that PCs IP configuration and maybe that could solve my issue.

I'll be reporting back as soon as I get it to work.

Regards,

F.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card