Views
Helpful
Replies

ACL on IOS Switch

Kingsleyizuka
Level 1
Level 1
Hi Everyone,

I've a Cisco Switch running IOS 12.4 but it seems impossible to configure an ACL to restrict access to a particular IP outside the network i.e. on the internet.

When I used "deny ip" or "deny tcp" and applied "IN" ACL group on the interface, it restricted access to all IP or TCP request on that interface respectively. "IN" is the only option available in the IOS.

For example, to block access to x.x.x.x (IP address):
access-list 190 deny ip any x.x.x.x 0.0.0.0
access-list 190 permit ip any any

OR

access-list 190 deny tcp any x.x.x.x 0.0.0.0
access-list 190 permit ip any any

and applied on the switch interface which connected the router to the switch
access-group 190 IN (because ONLY "IN" option is available)

Also, why does the IOS have only IN option for applying the ACL?

Thanks.

Tell me, I’ll forget; Show me, I’ll remember; Involve me, I’ll understand
~ Chinese Proverb

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

ADP_89
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

If my understanding is correct you applied this ACL to switch interface where the router is connected on the inbound side. If the IP x.x.x.x resides behind the router the traffic "ip any x.x.x.x 0.0.0.0" will never hit that rule as the ACL will be inspected across traffic from the internet to your servers. If you want to deny that traffic you should use the rule "ip x.x.x.x 0.0.0.0 any". Note* this will block returning traffic from the host, but traffic from your internal clients will still be able to reach that external resource.

If you need to block any type of traffic to that host put the ACL on the router.

Regardin the in/out option it depends by the switch hardware architecture. Not all the switches have TCAM that can support both sides.

HTH,

ADP

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

ADP_89
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

If my understanding is correct you applied this ACL to switch interface where the router is connected on the inbound side. If the IP x.x.x.x resides behind the router the traffic "ip any x.x.x.x 0.0.0.0" will never hit that rule as the ACL will be inspected across traffic from the internet to your servers. If you want to deny that traffic you should use the rule "ip x.x.x.x 0.0.0.0 any". Note* this will block returning traffic from the host, but traffic from your internal clients will still be able to reach that external resource.

If you need to block any type of traffic to that host put the ACL on the router.

Regardin the in/out option it depends by the switch hardware architecture. Not all the switches have TCAM that can support both sides.

HTH,

ADP

Thanks for the response.

The x.x.x.x is an address on the Internet and the ACL was supposed to filter inbound traffic. Although, the reverse seems to work, the essence of "OUT" is to filter that rule, but applying rules as "IN" is better.

Once again thanks.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card