Views
Helpful
Replies

Add Different Model of Switch to Stack

PolarPanda
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Gurus,

I have stack switches that all 3 switches are WS-C3850-48F-E. The stack is L2 with IOS version 16.12.x. I'm trying to add a 4th one to the stack, but the 4th one PID is WS-C3850-48F-S. I found the datasheet of the difference: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-3850-series-switches/datasheet_c78-720918.html

Looks like the difference is "IP Base feature set" vs " IP services feature set". Would it be ok to use the 4th one or it has to be exact same?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

if current stack uses smart lic, it's not necessary to match permanent lic (ip service vs ip base).

perpetual License come with every switch that is base License. so when you move the boot License mode command the device uses License you need.

i prefer to have all IP Service or IP base License.

If you able to buy IP Service and add to new switch and join the exiting stack is best approach (if you have budget to buy IP Service).

smart License is just a compliance make sure your device have correct License.(what you purchased)

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can add to stack ther model not a problem. but mixed IOS like IP Service and IP base not supported.

all should be same IOS features.

BB

i found this article: https://www.router-switch.com/faq/ip-base-ip-service-ip-advanced-service-difference.html

Looks like only L3 has difference between them. If we don't use L3 feature, it should be fine right?

in that case all switch need to same features - that required to downtime for the whole stack to rebuild.

BB

Sorry, i'm not following. Even we don't use L3 feature, we still need to rebuild whole stack? Can you be more specific on the rebuild part? What do I exactly need to do?

yes the License on the Live stack already IP Services (that what i understand your OP) - and you adding IP base switch to exiting stack,. that not going to work as per stacking guide lines.

so all switches should be IP base License

Hope this make sense ?

BB

Thank you. It does make sense. If i'm using smart lic, will it still be a problem? If yes, would it be possible to change IP service to IP base in the current stack?

you can use smart License and you can move the feature from IP Service to IP base.

on top of my head the command should be  - license boot level ipbasek9 (on the exiting stack and save the confg and reboot)

then add new switch with switch number and prority (save the config) connect stack cables to exiting stack.

BB

Thank you. Just to be clarified, if current stack uses smart lic, it's not necessary to match permanent lic (ip service vs ip base).

I also found out we can purchase ip service lic and install on the WS-C3850-48F-S model.

if current stack uses smart lic, it's not necessary to match permanent lic (ip service vs ip base).

perpetual License come with every switch that is base License. so when you move the boot License mode command the device uses License you need.

i prefer to have all IP Service or IP base License.

If you able to buy IP Service and add to new switch and join the exiting stack is best approach (if you have budget to buy IP Service).

smart License is just a compliance make sure your device have correct License.(what you purchased)

BB

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card