Replies

Adding 2960-X to existing 2960-S stack

tdorsey123
Level 1
Level 1

I am not having luck adding a newer 2960-X to and existing 2960-S stack

Only 3 switches here.

Existing stack:

WS-C2960S-48TS-L  - Switch priority 14 (c2960s-universalk9-mz.152-2.E4.bin)

WS-C2960S-48TS-L - Switch priority 12 (c2960s-universalk9-mz.152-2.E4.bin)

New Switch:

WS-C2960X-48TS-L - Switch priority 1 (c2960x-universalk9-mz.152-2.E4.bin)

All 3 switches have been upgraded to 152-2.E4

All 3 switches SDM template has been set to 'default'

Switch#sh sdm prefer
 The current template is "default" template

Stack wiring follows Cisco's diagram for 3 switches

Tried booting the existing switch, then powering the new switch: no luck

Tried booting all three switches together: no luck

What did I miss?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

adwang_bing
Level 1
Level 1

I believe in order to add a 2960X into a contiguous stack of 2960S switches you have to force the stack port speed on a 2960X to 10Gbps via the command switch stack port-speed 10 according to this guide you MUST set this manually, as the switch won't auto-detect this difference in stack port speeds.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Look for something interesting in "show log".  It will probably give the failure reason.

Thanks for the input Philip, The buffered logs were too short to capture any of the stack election alarms but sitting on console during boot I didn't capture any errors.  Unfortunatey I am out of my outage window to expand the buffered logs and reboot.

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Being the new switch, I wouldn't be surprised if it needs to be the stack master - priority 15.

It would seem more reasonable that a newer switch could "step down" to an older switch, and less reasonable that an older switch could control a newer switch that didn't exist what it was created.

Backup your switch configs first though!  As if the 2960-X becomes the master you might end up with no config and might need to paste the config back in.

adwang_bing
Level 1
Level 1

I believe in order to add a 2960X into a contiguous stack of 2960S switches you have to force the stack port speed on a 2960X to 10Gbps via the command switch stack port-speed 10 according to this guide you MUST set this manually, as the switch won't auto-detect this difference in stack port speeds.

Thank you Adwang.  After talking with TAC the Stack port speed change was necessary and in that same document is the recommendation to use the LAN-Routing SDM templates on all switches.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card