cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

adding new user to cisco 2960

Dragomir
Level 1
Level 1

how do I add a user with full admin rights to a 2960?

is this correct?

username user privilege 2 password 7 password ?

5 Replies 5

it tells me invalid encrypted password: xxxxxx

any idea?

When you type password 7 blahblahblah .the password following 7 should be encrypted.

So you must mention something like

username user privilege 15 password 7 ahme!mdsoirrncygh

Now there is a trick to find the encrypted password corresponding the cleartext you are finding.

First enter the normal password  using username user privilge 15 password 0 <normal-password>

Then enable service password encryption.When you will view the running-config after enabling this,you will be seeing an encrypted password.

Finally delete existing user and create username again with the encrypted password.

Let me know if you face any issues!

sumit menaria
Level 1
Level 1

The highest privilege level is 15.The user having access to privilege level 2, would be able to access commands that are at privilege level 2 or below. The user at privilege level 15 would have access to everything.

So you may want to you the following command

username user privilege 15 password 7 password

Cheers!

Sumit

Hello

Basic access:

username x.x.x.x privilege 15 secret x.x.x.x

line con 0
login local
privilege level 15

line vty 0 -4
login local
privilege level 15

res

Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the communityā€™s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card