Views
Helpful
Replies

Adding SG350X to an existing stack

peter.matuska1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have existing stack which consists two same SG350X. We bought the third one and want to add it to the existing stack. i couldn't find the exact steps of adding the switch to the existing stack.

My plan is:

1. power on the new switch and set the ID of this switch to 3 (the current switches have 1 and 2). Then shut it down

2. connect the stack cables in a ring topology on all 3 switches (this will probably require shutting down the existing stack, right?)

3. power on all 3 switches.

Question is: will adding the new switch erase the configuration on the existing stack?

thank you

3 Replies 3

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Question is: will adding the new switch erase the configuration on the existing stack?

I am not familiar with the SG series, but it should be just like the Catalyst switches (2960s, 3750s, 3850s, etc.) where adding a switch to an existing stack will not impact the configuration as long as it is saved. That said, before you add the new switch to the stack, make sure to backup your config.

HTH

peter.matuska1
Level 1
Level 1

so I replaced the switch today. the procedure was like this:

- configure the new switch as a member of a stack at home.

- install the switch at a customer and powered in on

- didnt shutdown the existing stack

- interconnected all the switches on the stack interface and after that all switches rebooted automatically

- once they were up and running everything was fine. Configuration wasn't deleted and the new switch appeared as a stack member.

How to configure the new switch as a member of a stack

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card