Views
Helpful
Replies

Adding switch into stack and updating IOS

pheavens85
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all

Adding a 3750 into an existing stack of 2 x 3750's today and wanted to confirm if i can update the switch after I connect it up.

I would have thought that I would just be able to copy from flash1: to flash3: (after making some space) but someone here informed me they did not think that was the case and it may require the software to be a tar archive when you do it acros the stackwise links.

Can anyone advise?

Cheers

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

smogra
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You can copy the copy the image from flash1 to flash3 after joing them with stack cables but keep in mind that if the image is tar image, you will not be able to copy the whole folder from one to other. Switch wont allow that. You can uncompress it or copy the bin image from the folder from flash 1 to flash 3 .

Set the boot variable now and reset the new switch making sure than it has low pripority than master switch. This will avoid this new switch to become the master.

Cheers

Sweta

Please rate useful posts.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

SunilKhanna
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Here is the URL for stack IOS upgrade procedure.

Catalyst 3750 Software Upgrade in a Stack  Configuration with Use of the Command-Line Interface

Regards,

Sunil

If you find the post content useful, pls don't forget to rate the post.

Regards, Sunil Khanna

ankugarg
Level 3
Level 3

If your other 2 members are having tar IOS,then you can't do direct copy...IOS needs to be untar..If other 2 stacks have bin image,you can do direct copy...But make sure that you will be able to do this only if there is no major version mismatch...In minor version mismatch,you should be able to do this.

When you add new switch to existing stack with tar image,some automatic image upgradation triggers on new member from old members,but i have never seen this to succeed.

smogra
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You can copy the copy the image from flash1 to flash3 after joing them with stack cables but keep in mind that if the image is tar image, you will not be able to copy the whole folder from one to other. Switch wont allow that. You can uncompress it or copy the bin image from the folder from flash 1 to flash 3 .

Set the boot variable now and reset the new switch making sure than it has low pripority than master switch. This will avoid this new switch to become the master.

Cheers

Sweta

Please rate useful posts.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Adding a 3750 into an existing stack of 2 x 3750's today and wanted to confirm if i can update the switch after  I connect it up.

I am going to presume that both are running the same IOS with the same feature set.

You have two ways of upgrading:

1.  You can use the command "archive download-sw /dest 1 /dest 2 tftp:"

2.  You can use the command "archive tar /x tftp: flash1:" and "archive tar /x tftp: flash2:"

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: