Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

address-table dynamic command interface command

Hi everyone I'm studying as a self-taught to achieve the ccna. I noticed what: 1) on cisco packet tracer the show mac command "address-table dynamic command interface" seems non-existent and 2) no known difference in the output between "show mac address-table dynamic command" and "show mac address-table dynamic interface "with output explained in the book but as mentioned in point 1 I can't run.

Who can give me an explanation?

Thank you in advance

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

kubn2
Level 1
Level 1
Hi Pietro,

Explanation is pretty simple, packet tracer it self is very limited in number of commands that you can use, that's why command could not work for you. To get full set of commands you can try full network virtualization software like VIRL or VIRL 2 (when they will release it) or GNS3. On these network simulators you would have full set of commands.

View solution in original post

For example:
show mac address-table dynamic interface Gi1/0/1

This command will show you dynamically learned address only on interface Gi1/0/1, MAC addresses learned from other interfaces will not be included in the results. Meanwhile this command:
show mac address-table dynamic

Will show you all mac addresses learned from all interfaces.

Starting yesterday, the Cisco Modeling Labs (CML) is also available on DevNet sandbox:  https://t.co/Jb6gw99Iq9?amp=1 

Cisco Modeling Labs is a tool for building virtual network simulations (or labs) for you to test out new topologies, protocols, and config changes; automate network tests via CI/CD pipeline integration; and learn new things about the cool world of networking.

Cheers,

Sergiu

5 Replies 5

kubn2
Level 1
Level 1
Hi Pietro,

Explanation is pretty simple, packet tracer it self is very limited in number of commands that you can use, that's why command could not work for you. To get full set of commands you can try full network virtualization software like VIRL or VIRL 2 (when they will release it) or GNS3. On these network simulators you would have full set of commands.

Thank you for your answer. last question.... "show mac address-table dynamic interface" and "show mac address-table dynamic" make out same result. Why? On the book is specified that "show mac address-table dynamic interface" it is useful to show all mac address learned off but it make the same result of show mac address-table dynamic without interface parameter. Why?

For example:
show mac address-table dynamic interface Gi1/0/1

This command will show you dynamically learned address only on interface Gi1/0/1, MAC addresses learned from other interfaces will not be included in the results. Meanwhile this command:
show mac address-table dynamic

Will show you all mac addresses learned from all interfaces.

many thanks now I understand in fact on the book there is also written that this command is useful in solving the problem to see those mac addresses learned off of a particular port and understand why it is off.

Starting yesterday, the Cisco Modeling Labs (CML) is also available on DevNet sandbox:  https://t.co/Jb6gw99Iq9?amp=1 

Cisco Modeling Labs is a tool for building virtual network simulations (or labs) for you to test out new topologies, protocols, and config changes; automate network tests via CI/CD pipeline integration; and learn new things about the cool world of networking.

Cheers,

Sergiu

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card