Views
Helpful
Replies

AIR AP 1261

r.t
Level 1
Level 1

Dear all,

We have bought any 1260 APs for our WLAN.

I understand the description, that they have in 802.11n configuration a speed from max. 300 MBit.

But all APs in our house have only an output from 144 MBit. What can I do or configure, that they have the max. speed for 300 Mbit.

Or canĀ“t the APs this speed.

Best regards

Ralf

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I have searched the configurations from the 1261 APs, but I didnĀ“t find out, if channel bonding is active or not.

You want to know about 802.11n and channel bonding?

802.11n: The Next Generation of Wireless Performance

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

jimmysands73_2
Level 5
Level 5

I am no wireless guy, but the concept should be the same. 

Your speed will only be as great as your weakest link.  How do you know that the AP is not providing that....if you used speedtest.net, then remember the weakest link issue.

Gerald Vogt
Level 3
Level 3

144 Mbit/s is the maximum speed without channel bonding (i.e. using a 20 MHz band instead of 40 MHz).

Are you sure that your wireless clients are configured to use 40 MHz bandwidth on the 2.4 GHz band? Many cards are set to 20 MHz by default, e.g. the Intel driver does not connect with channel bonding on the 2.4 GHz unless configured to do so.

Is the AP1261 configured to offer channel bonding on the 2.4 GHz band?

In many locations, there is no advantage using channel bonding as it increases interference with other APs a lot. Thus very often you'll find that the connection without channel bonding will allow faster transfers than with channel bonding on the 2.4 Ghz band. With channel bonding you bascially allocate about 2/3 of the available total bandwidth on the 2.4 GHz band not leaving a lot of "space" for others.

Unless you force the AP to use 40 MHz only, it will probably select 20 MHz or 40 MHz bands depending on the interference and thus may automatically revert to 20 MHz because of the number of other access points close by.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I understand the description, that they have in 802.11n configuration a speed from max. 300 MBit.

Yes.  300 Mbps in HALF DUPLEX.

Are you sure that your wireless clients are configured to use 40 MHz bandwidth on the 2.4 GHz band?

5.0 Ghz allows channel bonding.  2.4 Ghz doesn't.

Dear all,

at first, many thanks for your very good answers. In the last days, I have deliberate about your questions and tips.

At the moment, I donĀ“t much understand all for channel bonding.

I have searched the configurations from the 1261 APs, but I didnĀ“t find out, if channel bonding is active or not.

ThatĀ“s a problem....

The APs were configured from a service provider and I must talk to the engineer in the next days.

When anybody know, if I can verify this point, I will be very happy for a tip.

Ralf

You want to know about 802.11n and channel bonding?

802.11n: The Next Generation of Wireless Performance

Dear all,

today I found my mistake and it was so easy.

Channel bounding or MIMO is not a menue or button .

Thanks, for all your answers.

Thanks for the ratings. 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card