Views
Helpful
Replies

Analysing subnets

Arcaneuk10
Level 1
Level 1

DearAll

Just when I think i have subnetting cracked! I come across a question that throws me, here goes.

An IP subnetting design effort is under way at a company. So far, the senior engineer has decided to use Class B network 172.23.0.0. The design calls for 100 subnets, with the largest subnet needing 500 hosts. Management requires that the design accommodate 50 percent growth in the number of subnets and the size of the largest subnet. The requirements also state that a single mask must be used throughout the Class B network. How many masks meet the requirements?

Explanation

With 50 percent growth, the mask needs to define enough subnet bits to create 150 subnets. As a result, the mask needs at least 8 subnet bits (7 subnet bits supply 27, or 128, subnets, and 8 subnet bits supply 28, or 256, subnets). Similarly, the need for 50 percent growth in the size for the largest subnet means that the host part needs enough bits to number 750 hosts/subnet. Nine host bits are not enough (29 - 2 = 510), but 10 host bits supply 1022 hosts/subnet (210 - 2 = 1022). With 16 network bits existing because of the choice to use a Class B network, the design needs a total of 34 bits (at least) in the mask (16 network, 8 subnet, 10 host), but only 32 bits exist - so no single mask meets the requirements.

Now I get most of the explanation, however I do not understand in the brackets how 7 subnet bits supply 27!!, I get that 2 to the power of 7 = 128 subnets, that is fine with me, but 7 subnet bits supply 27!! also 29-2 = 510 and 210-2 =1022. ok I understand that 2 to the power of 10 = 1024 - 2 =1022, and 2 to the power of 9 = 512 and -2 = 510, but where do the figures 27 and 29 come into it!  am I been silly here, please could somebody, make this clear for me, as I do not get it.

Kind regards

Arcaneuk

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Sure no issues. Sometimes they don't put in clearly and it makes us wondering :)
there are many subnet calculators out there but the fun in learning and doing manually is special.

Please mark the discussion as resolved and as always please rate helpful posts

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

nazimkha
Level 4
Level 4

I think the 27 and 29 simply mean

27 ---> 2 to the power of 7 ---> 27

29 ---> 2 to the power of 9 ---> 29

Also you may want check on some subnetting

Hello  Nazimkha

Many thanks for that, I feel quite stupid, it seems quite obvious now that you have explained it, although I do not like the way it is done, I quest I still have a bit of work to do regarding subnetting. Many thanks for your help.                               

Regards

Arcaneuk10                                                                                                                                                                            

Sure no issues. Sometimes they don't put in clearly and it makes us wondering :)
there are many subnet calculators out there but the fun in learning and doing manually is special.

Please mark the discussion as resolved and as always please rate helpful posts
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card