cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Any network discovery tool that supports CLI/CDP?

michael-luo
Level 1
Level 1

May popular network discovery tools out there (such as WhatsUp Gold, Solarwind) are based on SNMP.  Even though they claim to support SSH/Telnet, but they didn't seem to work the way I thought.

What I'm expecting is a software that mimic the way a human being do on discovering a swtich network:

1) Get to the CLI of the 'seed' switch

2) Do a "show cdp neighbor detail"

3) Look at the entries that have IP address

4) Telnet/SSH to that IP and repeat step 1-3 above

Ideally, the software can cycle through a credential list in case different credentials are needed on different devices.

The closest I can found is "NetBrain".  But it seems to be an overkill for light use.  I could have written some VB Scripts along with SecureCRT to achieve this.  But want to check before reinventing the wheel.

Thank you!

3 Replies 3

I think that all the relevant information from CDP/MAC/ARP etc. is available through SNMP, so there is no need to control a login-session and invest much brain in parsing the output. Especially if you think about that the outout could be different after an image-upgrade.

Beside of that, a good tool that also uses CDP for discovery is Netdot, or if I understand it right, the underlying software netdisco.

The problem is - due to security restrictions, SSH/Telnet is the only way.  No SNMP access.

Thanks!

franklaszlo
Level 1
Level 1

Quite late answer but you may give a try to PrettyGoodTerminal at http://www.prettygoodterminal.com

BR

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card