Views
Helpful
Replies

anyway to adding link to Channel-Group without disconnection

mmarie
Level 1
Level 1

Hello 

I have two Cisco switches 9500 and connected between them with one port and i need to adding another port to be as channel-group.

I already create channel-group at each switch, so there is anyway to adding the active port to this channel without any disconnection.

Appreciate your help

Thanks

4 Replies 4

I dont know but in both SW config port add it PO before connect any cable' after config connect cable.

MHM

liviu.gheorghe
Spotlight
Spotlight

You can configure the Portchannel and add the new interface in the Portchannel configuration and then connect the cable between the new interfaces like @MHM Cisco World suggested.

After that, verify that the two 9500 switches sees the two connections - one via the old interfaces and the other one via the Portchannel. If the switches are visible using both connections, you can proceed to reconfiguring the old interfaces and adding them in the Portchannel. In this way you should have minimal packet loss between the switches.

Hope this helps.

Regards, LG
*** Please Rate All Helpful Responses ***

Richard Pidcock
Level 1
Level 1

So for clarity, you do not have a port-channel already configured correct?  You are wanting to create a new port-channel, and then add the existing connected interface with a second interface in the channel?  If this is the case, I don't know that you can do that without at least a minor disruption when making the config changes, but it could be done with very mimimal disruption (i.e. less than a minute probably).  If you have the available interfaces I would consider creating your new port-channel with two unused interfaces on each switch, leave them administratively down and connect your cables.  Then in a change window you can disconnect your original single connection and then turn up your newly created port-channel.  That would be very quick probably the easiest way to accomplish this task.

Richard W. Pidcock

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What I've done on other Cisco switches, shut down one of the new Ethernet channel links, config both ends' ports to be a member link.  No shut the port.

Basically, very similar to other replies which last step connect the link physically, but I've often worked in environments where the devices were non local.  Also, by having a physical connection, with a shut port, I can do some basic checks before I configure it as a member link.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card