Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA OSPF Reference Bandwidth

Luke Robertson
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm looking at an ASA, which has a default reference bandwidth of 100Mbps. This will form a neighbour relationship with Nexus switches which have a default reference of 40Gbps.

The links in the DC vary between 1Gbps, 10Gbps and 40Gbps. I would like the reference bandwidth to be 100Gbps, so all the interface speeds get an appropriate cost (not all just set to 1).

I have found a lot of information on how to change the reference bandwidth on IOS, and I can see that it's the same on NXOS, but I can't find how to change it on the ASA.

Can anyone tell me how this is done?

2 Replies 2

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Apparently the ASA by default figures out the cost based on the bandwidth and so you don't have to configure reference-bandwidth.

From the config guide:

The ASA calculates the cost of an interface based on link bandwidth rather than the number of hops to the destination.

Link;

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/asa/asa90/configuration/guide/asa_90_cli_config/route_ospf.html

HTH

I did see that, but I think that is to compare OSPF's cost-based metric to RIP's hop based metric.

Running 'show ospf | inc bandwidth' shows that the 'Reference bandwidth unit is 100 mbps' which suggests that it is still used.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card