Views
Helpful
Replies

Ask the Expert: Cisco Catalyst 6800 Series Switches

ciscomoderator
Community Manager
Community Manager

Read the bioWith Amer Atout

Welcome to the Cisco Support Community Ask the Expert conversation. This is an opportunity to learn and ask questions about the Cisco Catalyst 6800 Series Switches with Cisco expert Amer Atout. 

Cisco Catalyst 6800 Series Switches are programmable campus backbone switches optimized for 10/40/100 Gigabit Ethernet services. They provide slot capacity of up to 880 G and smart and simple network operations using Cisco Catalyst Instant Access. These switches offer converged wired, wireless, and VPN security and exceptional investment protection with their Cisco Catalyst 6500 inheritance.

Amer Atout is a product manager for the Cisco Catalyst 6800 and 6500 Series Switches. He is responsible for promoting the next-generation supervisor module and fixed aggregation platforms. Previously, Amer was a customer escalation engineer for the Cisco Catalyst Access platforms, where he led in the resolution of escalated issues on Cisco Catalyst 4000, 3000, and 2000 products; increased customer satisfaction; and improved product quality. Amer holds a master's degree in electrical engineering from the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor and a bachelor's degree in computer engineering from the University of Jordan, Amman. 

Remember to use the rating system to let Amer know if you have received an adequate response. 

Amer might not be able to answer each question due to the volume expected during this event. Remember that you can continue the conversation in Network Infrastructure community,  sub-community, LAN, Switching and Routing discussion forum shortly after the event. This event lasts through January 17, 2014. Visit this forum often to view responses to your questions and the questions of other community members.

23 Replies 23

Jessica Deaken
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Amer,

Thank you for covering this topic.  Question for you.  Does the Cisco Catalyst 6807-XL support any of the current Cisco Catalyst 6500 series line cards?  Please advise.

Thank you,

Jessica

Hello Jessica,

Thank you for participating.

The Cisco Catalyst 6807-XL chassis supports the following Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series line cards:

Supervisor Compatibility:

VS-S2T-10G

VS-S2T-10G-XL

Line Card Compatibility:

WS-X6904-40G-2T

WS-X6904-40G-2TXL

WS-X6908-10G-2T

WS-X6908-10G-2TXL

WS-X6816-10G-2T

WS-X6816-10G-2TXL

WS-X6816-10T-2T

WS-X6816-10T-2TXL

WS-X6848-SFP-2T

WS-X6848-SFP-2TXL

WS-X6824-SFP-2T

WS-X6824-SFP-2TXL

WS-X6848-TX-2T

WS-X6848-TX-2TXL

WS-X6704-10GE (with CFC or DFC4)

WS-X6748-GE-TX (with CFC or DFC4)

WS-X6748-SFP (with CFC or DFC4)

WS-X6724-SFP (with CFC or DFC4)

WS-X6716-10G-3C (with DFC4)

WS-X6716-10G-3CXL (with DFC4XL)

WS-X6716-10T-3C (with DFC4)

WS-X6716-10T-3CXL (with DFC4XL)

NAM3

ASA-SM

WiSM2

ACE30

Hope this helps.

Regards,

~Amer

Hi Amer,

If we are currently with 6506-E with VS-S2T-10G-XL, WS-X6816-10GE, WS-X6824-SFP as typical distribution block switch, is that advantages to buy this 6807-X chassis & move line cards onto this new platform ? (in otherwords 6506-E will go EoL within next 3-5 years)

I understand only WS-X6904-40G-2TXL support 40G for Sup2T at the moment. Is there any high port density 40G line card available for this new platform ?

Regards

Rasika

Hello Rasika,

The advantage of moving to the Cisco Catalyst 6807-XL with the same modules you have today is that it unlocks higher per-slot bandwidth while keeping the same Cisco Catalyst 6500 DNA and rich feature set.

The same Supervisor Engine 2T will be able to provide up to 220 Gbps of  per-slot bandwidth when it is inserted in the Cisco Catalyst 6807-XL  chassis which makes it optimized to support high-density 10 Gigabit, 40 Gigabit, and 100 Gigabit Ethernet.

The performance of the current line card modules (such as Cisco Catalyst 6900, 6800, and 6700 modules) does not change and that is available in the module data sheets.

In addition, the Cisco Catalyst 6807-XL chassis is capable of delivering up 880 Gbps of per-slot bandwidth for future needs.

Regards,

~Amer

Thanks Amer for the clarification.

Would you be able to provide any information about road map for 40G line cards (high port density) for this platform. We are planning to upgrade core-distribution links from 10G to 20G(bundling 2x10G) or 40G depend on the  future road map of 40G line cards availability in 2014 for this.

Regards

Rasika

Hi Rasika,

For roadmap information, please work with your Cisco Account Manager. Please feel free to provide them with my name.

Regards,

~Amer

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Amer

The sup2T can support up to 220Gbps per slot. Does this mean that to achieve the 880Gbps per slot mentioned above that there will be a new supervisor to deliver that increased capacity ?

If so my question is about linecards. Each linecard is restricted by the connectors it has to the switch fabric so increasing the slot capacity does not mean that capacity can be used by existing linecards. Using a 40Gbps linecard as an example -

220Gbps per slot means you can run 5 40Gbps with no oversubscription

880Gbps per slot means you can run 22 40Gbps with no oversubscription

If 40Gbps linecards are released before the new supervisor is it possible for these cards to have connectors that can take advantage of the 880Gbps but still operate at the 220Gbps slot capacity available with the sup2T or is this just not possible ie. it is a hardware limitation in that you can only have connectors that are less than or equal to the slot capacity provided by the supervisor in use ?

Hope that made sense.

Jon

Hi Jon,

Yes, the chassis is capable 220Gbps with Supervisor 2T and capable of 880Gbps per-slot with future modules.

There is no restriction to have the line cards with equal or less capacity than the supervisor module. What determines the per-slot bandwidth is a combination of three factor:

- Chassis capacity

- Supervisor capacity

- Line Card capacity

I hope this answers the questions.

Thanks,

~Amer

Jessica Deaken
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you for your detailed answer Amer.  One more question on this please.   What are the components of the Cisco Catalyst Instant Access solution?  Thanks again for your time.

Jessica

Hello Jessica,

The Cisco Catalyst Instant Access solution provides a single point of management and configuration for distribution layer and access layer switches. It has two components: the Instant Access parent and the Instant Access client.

The parent comprises a pair of Cisco Catalyst 6500E or 6807-XL Series chassis with Supervisor 2T configured in VSS mode and a WS-X6904-40G-2T line card configured in 10G mode.

The client is the Cisco Catalyst 6800ia switch operating exclusively in client mode. The Instant Access client is a stackable switch that supports 48 10/100/1000 interfaces with PoE+ or non-PoE options and two 10Gbps SFP+ uplink or fabric interface ports.

In addition to the parent and client, a fex-fabric link between the Instant Access parent and client supports short-reach, long-reach multimode, long-reach, and extended-reach optics with Cisco 10GBase SFP+ across fabric links.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

~Amer

Chiiruu08
Level 1
Level 1

hi all

i have two host connected to my cisco switch and a router connected to the switch on inter g0/1 and and isp gateway on g0/0

i am able to ping my router inside and outside interface for my host ..bt not able to ping my isp gateway

i am also able to ping 4.2.2.2 from router using extented ping with source add as my router inside ip an

i have configurd ISP gateway ip as my def GW on my router

am not able to figure out the reason for not able to ping 4.2.2.2 from host

have also configured PAT on my router  ablr to see the NAT translation when i do extended ping

an able to ping  4.2.2.2 from router but not abe to ping from my host

NEED HELP!!!!

NET DESIGN

HOST ----> SWITCH ------->ROUTER ----->ISP GATEWAY ROUTER

thanks in advance

Hello Chirag,

For support issues, please work with Cisco TAC. Please let me know if you need help getting the contacts.

Thanks,

~Amer

Anas Abueideh
Level 9
Level 9

Hi Amer,

I want to ask about the difference between 6807-XL and Nexus 7K.

what are the main difference between both switches. is 6807-XL recommended only for the current 6500 customers ?

if we have green field, do you recommend nexus 7K or 6807-XL ?

thanks in advance

Regards

Anas

Hello Anas,

The decision of choosing between Catalyst and Nexus varies from customer to customer and depends on many factors including the position in the network and the feature set the customer is looking to use and deploy. 

The Cisco Catalyst 6800 product line is focused on Video, Campus Segmentation, Application Visibility, and Smart Operations making it an ideal for Campus Backbone deployments (Campus Core and Aggregation layers). Features you find on this platform include Medianet, Easy Virtual Networks, Flexible Netflow, Smart Install, and the Catalyst Instant Access.

Similarly, The Nexus product line is focused on DC Virtualization, LAN/SAN Convergence, Fabric Scale and Data Center Operations making it an ideal product for Data Center Core, Aggregation and DCI. Features you find on this platform include OTV, Multi-hop FCoE, FabricPath, and FEX.

Thanks,

~Amer

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: