cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

assign ip to switch vlans

Arie
Level 1
Level 1

I have 2950 switch L2. I made a trunk port on it on F0/1 interface as its going towards router on which i deployed 3 sub interfaces and 3 vlans on it (0.11,0.99,0.192).

My questions are:

1) Do i have to assign those vlans also on switch's trunk port or its just enough to make it trunk and that's it.

1a) If answer on 1 is NO, then next question would be in which situations to assign those vlans on trunk manually ? (By the way is is really possible on Layer2 switch)

1b) if answer is YES since on router i already assigned ip's so my vlans why should i also do the same stricly on switch.

2) Can i just assign IP addres to switch directly ( i am not talking about assign to vlans but to switch itself for instance for access by webbrowser)

2 Replies 2

ALI ALMHDI
Level 1
Level 1

Do i have to assign those vlans also on switch's trunk port or its just enough to make it trunk and that's it.

Trunk by default allow all valns , so there's no assign to trunk we say allow vlan on trunk

But vlan must be in switch 

1a) If answer on 1 is NO, then next question would be in which situations to assign those vlans on trunk manually ? (By the way is is really possible on Layer2 switch)

Yes we can purn or not allow some vlans pass through the trunk for security or prevent extra broadcast traffic goes to switch that not have some vlan on it or in transit

2) Can i just assign IP addres to switch directly ( i am not talking about assign to vlans but to switch itself for instance for access by webbrowser)

As you know we can assign ip for route port and the interface in switch not 

If we have l2 switch only one SVI that can assign ip address for management

If we have l3 switch you can trun any interface to routed port an assign the ip 

But in some switches we have management interface as routed port you can use it 

Let me please make some additioanl sumarize comments to your answers:

Q1) You said if there is trunk by default all vlans are allowed to go through which is clear to me, but :

1a) Why in packet tracer when hover on that switch i don't see those vlans (e.g separated by commas)? Look at trunk port interface 0/3. In VLAN column there is -- and should be three vlans as connected router contain 3xsubinterfaces (3vlans with ip on it). Therefore i should see 3 vlans mentioned in that column. Or it just automaticly and i should keep in mind "they are there...".

1b) If i would like to delete some port i probably would need to use some command to exclude that port from vlan, what command?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q2) About layer 2 switch as i understood An IP address on a true layer 2 only switch is used for management (accessing the CLI remotely, sending SNMP traps, logging, TACACS/RADIUS, etc.). The IP address on the switch is in no way required for the switch to actually do its job, which is to switch frames.

So why there is no command to just do something like: Switch1>ip address 10.0.0.10

but i have to assign it to vlan - dont get that:

int vlan << management vlan id >>

ip address 10.0.0.10 255.255.255.0

so in this case from my understanding i am setting IP more like to specific vlan rather than switch itself, don't get it and if it could be only one ip set so what would happen if i would also assign other ip to other vlan on that switch - its possible i checked (could be only one right?)

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card