cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Assigning an IP to a C2960X, not on VLAN 1

nochannel2013
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone, new to cisco switching. How do I assign an IP address and subnet to a new C2960X?  All the examples I have seen say to config VLAN1, but, my organization does not use VLAN 1, in fact, this is what they all look like

interface Vlan1
no ip address
shutdown

Coming from over vendors I normally would assign the IP address to the management vlan, but they dont use a mgmt vlan.  I only have a data and voice vlan, so I'm a bit lost.

Thanks

5 Replies 5

Ben Samayoa
Level 1
Level 1
Hi there! This link below have all the info you are looking for including a step by step example: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960x/software/15-0_2_EX/vlan/configuration_guide/b_vlan_152ex_2960-x_cg/b_vlan_152ex_2960-x_cg_chapter_011.html Scroll down on the link provided, to the section: Creating or Modifying an Ethernet VLAN Hope you get a better understanding of creating/deleting VLANS. Cheers, Ben

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Here is an example of configuring IP address for vlan 2

Switch#configure terminal
Enter configuration commands, one per line.  End with CNTL/Z.
Switch(config)#interface Vlan2
Switch(config-if)#ip address 10.1.2.1 255.255.255.0
Switch(config-if)#no shutdown

The same for vlan 3, 4, etc.. 

You just need a separate subnet for each vlan.

HTH 

Thank you everyone, appreciate the replies.  After reading a little bit its starting to make sense.  The previous guy who was fired configured about 60 switches, and no two switches have the same config.  Some have qos, some dont, most dont even have the ip default gateway IP address.  I dont know how they're working...

luis_cordova
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi @nochannel2013 ,

If you can not create a special vlan for administration, you could use the vlan number of data for the vlan interface and assign an ip of that network to be able to locate the switch within the network.

Regards

Deepak Kumar
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

interface Vlan1
no ip address
shutdown

Above is the default configuration on Cisco switches. Many times we are not creating a management network or separate VLAN for the mgnt purpose then we will use the same VOICE/DATA VLAN's (SVI) ip address and configuration would be like:

vlan 10
name DATA

!
interface vlan 10
description SVI-DATA-Network
ip address 10.10.10.1 255.255.255.0

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,
Don't forget to vote and accept the solution if this comment will help you!
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card