cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Avaya 9608 on Cisco 3650 being forced on Data VLAN

islanderzero
Level 1
Level 1

I took over for a network engineer who left and I'm trying to configure a Cisco 3650 with IOS-XE version 16.12 to work with some Avaya 9608Gs with Application File 7.1.6.0.8. There's a Cisco ISE server that allows it on the network using mab but doesn't push the VLAN to it. All IPs come from a windows DHCP server on VLAN 100 for Voice and VLAN 50 for Data.

I know my switch configuration is the problem because the phones are able to correctly get on the correct VLAN and subnet when I plug the phones on one of the other switches. I enabled LLDP on the switch using lldp run and when I do a show lldp entry [device], i get the below:

Switch#sh lldp entry AVX7F0000

Capability codes:
(R) Router, (B) Bridge, (T) Telephone, (C) DOCSIS Cable Device
(W) WLAN Access Point, (P) Repeater, (S) Station, (O) Other
------------------------------------------------
Local Intf: Gi1/0/47
Chassis id: 10.10.252.250
Port id: c81f.ea0f.b300
Port Description - not advertised
System Name: AVX7F0000
System Description - not advertised

Time remaining: 115 seconds
System Capabilities: B,T
Enabled Capabilities: B
Management Addresses:

The above in bold with System Capabilities for Bridge and Telephone are available for the device but only Bridge is enabled under Enabled Capabilities. Anyone know what would cause that or how to force the switch to enable the device as a telephone? Could this be causing my IP issue? I really don't see any difference between my configuration and other configuration of the other switches.

Thank you

5 Replies 5

johnd2310
Level 8
Level 8

Hi,

What is you switch port config. Was the other switch you tested the phone on a 3650 running 16.12?. This could be bug in 16.12

Thanks

John

**Please rate posts you find helpful**

Hi John,

All the switches are running the same IOS-XE version, 16.12. Below is my port configuration.

interface GigabitEthernet1/0/40

switchport access vlan 50

switchport mode access

switchport voice vlan 100

authentication event fail action next-method

authentication event server dead action authorize vlan 50

authentication event server dead action authorize voice

authentication event server alive action reinitialize

authentication host-mode multi-domain

authentication order dot1x mab

authentication priority dot1x mab

authentication port-control auto

authentication periodic

authentication timer reauthenticate server

authentication violation restrict

mab

snmp trap mac-notification change added

snmp trap mac-notification change removed

dot1x pae authenticator

spanning-tree portfast

spanning-tree bpduguard enable

spanning-tree guard root

!

Is it possible that this is an older Avaya phone that derives the voice VLAN from DHCP options when it issues a DHCP request in the untagged VLAN? I am not an Avaya expert, but I do recall some years back that this was how Avaya phones learned the tagged/voice VLAN.

Hi Elliot, unfortunately that is not the case as I specified above, the phones have no problem getting an IP address on any other switch on the network - just the one that I cnfigured.

Does it still fail to get on the voice VLAN if you temporarily turn off the 802.1x?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: