cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Bandwidth...utilization issue

Santosh Kolte
Level 1
Level 1

We are Copying file(bakup or any other) in Lan Network ...... from pc1 to other location (please refer the attached Diagram)..

My quistion is.. My Link 1  is 100 mb but it's not utilizing it's spped its only using 10 mbps and

gig link utilize 100 mbps ...why this Happens... how can  i solve this issue.

Some traffic is there but  every time it takes same amount of time.

Please help........

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

damige1985
Level 1
Level 1

I think you are confusing MegaByte(MByte) with Megabit(Mbit).

8Mbit = 1MByte

100Mbit = 12MByte

1000Mbit = 120MByte

at 100Mbit it would take a 300MByte file 25 seconds with no overhead( ~30 sec with basic TCP/IP overhead)

at 1000Mbit it would take a 300MByte file 2.5 seconds with no overhead( ~3.0 sec with basic TCP/IP overhead)

So what you are seeing is correct, and per speed specifications.

Best regards,

Paul

View solution in original post

Hi,

of course link speeds are in bps not Bps.

Regards.

Alain

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

damige1985
Level 1
Level 1

I think you are confusing MegaByte(MByte) with Megabit(Mbit).

8Mbit = 1MByte

100Mbit = 12MByte

1000Mbit = 120MByte

at 100Mbit it would take a 300MByte file 25 seconds with no overhead( ~30 sec with basic TCP/IP overhead)

at 1000Mbit it would take a 300MByte file 2.5 seconds with no overhead( ~3.0 sec with basic TCP/IP overhead)

So what you are seeing is correct, and per speed specifications.

Best regards,

Paul

That Means switch has 100 megabit Links not 100 megabyte.......

Hi,

of course link speeds are in bps not Bps.

Regards.

Alain

thank u .... paul & cadet.

Hi Paul,

One doubt, could you please tell me how this calculation is done ?

Thanks in advance

Thomas

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Just want to also note, beside hosts normally dealing with bytes/sec and networks bits/second, there are often many layers of overhead between the network's bits/second and what you might see on a host for bytes/seconds.  There's L2 protocol overhead (e.g. Ethernet), L3 protocol overhead (e.g. IP), L4 protocol overhead (e.g. TCP) and even other layers of overhead (e.g. FTP, CIFS, SMB, etc.).

Also, when copying large files between hosts, you can bump into physical limitions of the hosts, such as disk drives might not be able to sustain network high speed (even with modern hosts, it can be issue when you're dealing with gig interfaces).

thanks for additional information Joseph

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card