Views
Helpful
Replies

Bizarre IP

Ajai George
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I have a very strange issue with one remote subnet IP address.

I have a Datacenter Backbone which comprises of 2 Core Switches and 10 Rack Switches(2960Gs). We have 2 NTP servers, one at our Main DC and the other at the DR Site.

Recently, I’ve been seeing hits on our internal firewall( default gateway) for traffic destined to the DR NTP Server.

Did some digging and noticed that I am unable to ping the DR NTP server from a few rack switches. I am able to ping other IPs in that DR NTP Server subnet from the Rack Switches. I am also able to ping it from all other subnets.

Now, it would seem the issue is with the NTP server which is running RHEL. But, I've noticed that I can ping the DR NTP server from 2 Rack switches in the same backbone vlan. There is no difference in the switch configs other than the interface vlan IP. This would rule out any routing issue with this subnet. I have also checked the NTP server and the routing table on this server looks fine.

If I do a traceroute it just times out. Just don’t know what could be the issue. Routing looks fine, switch configurations is fine and the server routing table is also good.

Let me know if anyone has faced a similar issue and how I can get to the root cause.

Many Thanks,

Ajai

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
13 Replies 13

garapoglou
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

Since everything else seems to be fine, I would have a look at the firewall. It could be caused by an access rule which blocks access to specific IP addresses, like the ones of the switches which don't get ping replies.

Best regards,

Giorgos

Hi Giorgos,

The Firewall is the default gateway for the core switches.

The setup is like this.

Rack switch --> Core Switch-->Core Router<--WAN LINK--> DRS L3 Switch-->DR NTP Server.

|

Firewall

|

Internet

The Rack switch has the Core switch as default gateway.and the core switch has an entry for the remote subnet in the routing table.

Hope this clarifies.

Thanks,

Ajai

OK, Ajai I've figured it out. Thanks for the information.

Where does traceroute time out?

Giorgos

The ping/ traceroute to DR NTP is hitting the internal firewall instead for going to the core router.

Ping and traceroute to any other IP in the DR NTP Server subnet goes to the core switch and then to core router.

Ajai,

What about the ARP table of the rack switch? Did you check it as well?

Giorgos

Hi Giorgos,

The rack switch is got the arp entries for the core switch and core router.

Regards,
Ajai

Check all relevant ARP entries, or try clear ARP.

Also try clear mac-address-table.

Hi Paolo,

The Rack switch is got the right arp entries for the core switch and core router.

Regards,

Ajai

Dennis Olvany
Level 1
Level 1

Show ip redirect

Hi Dennis,

Noticed that the Host IP is using the firewall as the gateway from the show ip redirects output. Cleared ip redirects and i am now able to ping the NTP server.

Thanks a lot for the help.

Regards,

Ajai

I had a same case recenty too. 5 points awarded!

Ajai George
Level 1
Level 1

But still not sure what could have caused the host to be redirected to the wrong gateway.

I do have the Core switch configured as the default gateway.

If it is a dynamic route to the destination on the default gateway and that route goes away, then the default gateway may send icmp redirects for whatever route now matches the destination. Some switches fail to properly timeout redirects.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card