Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

boot fail 3850

I get constant boot fail on my 3850 switch how to recover and go into rommon or switch: mode? I pushed and held the mode button in front of the switch 15 and 60 seconds 20 diffent times and just the one amber light flickers. please help.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

rasmus.elmholt
Level 7
Level 7

You should press the mode button until it says on the console that the button is pressed or to release it.

If that does not work then most likely the switch is totally dead.

Reconnect the power cord to the or the active switch. Within 15 seconds, press the Mode button while the System LED is still flashing green. Continue pressing the Mode button until all the system LEDs turn on and remain solid; then release the Mode button.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3850/software/release/3se/system_management/configuration_guide/b_sm_3se_3850_cg/b_sm_3se_3850_cg_chapter_01110.html#task_1021182

View solution in original post

- If nothing at all can be seen on the console, the device is broken and needs to be RMA-ed. If you still have console output , then post screenshot or a console-trail from putty (e.g.)

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

rasmus.elmholt
Level 7
Level 7

You should press the mode button until it says on the console that the button is pressed or to release it.

If that does not work then most likely the switch is totally dead.

Reconnect the power cord to the or the active switch. Within 15 seconds, press the Mode button while the System LED is still flashing green. Continue pressing the Mode button until all the system LEDs turn on and remain solid; then release the Mode button.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3850/software/release/3se/system_management/configuration_guide/b_sm_3se_3850_cg/b_sm_3se_3850_cg_chapter_01110.html#task_1021182

I already tried these fix actions, holding the mode button between 15 -20 seconds and no success, just one amber light blinks and console repeats boot fail over and over.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

In ROMMON, post the complete output to the following commands: 

dir flash:
set

If the switch has boot into IOS-XE, post the complete output to the following commands: 

sh version
dir flash:
sh boot
sh post

unfortunately it's in constant boot fail, I cant get it to rommon or switch: to enter any commands.

- Is there anything (else) displayed in the console ?

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Just fail boot, and the one amber light flashes. that's it.

- If nothing at all can be seen on the console, the device is broken and needs to be RMA-ed. If you still have console output , then post screenshot or a console-trail from putty (e.g.)

M.

What can cause this to happen?

I am afraid it's the end for the switch. RMA og a new one.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card