cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Bridging VLANs

kahn20002k
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone, I am a beginner and is just a normal end-user, not an expert on network administration.

I have just bought a Cisco SLM2008T 8 port managed switch to replace the Gateway given by my Internet Service Provider.

The reason being that the Cisco SLM2008T allows for VLAN tagging and QOS which is implemented by my ISP.

I have setup the Switch to work on my ISP for internet access and IPTV services. Basically these are the setup parameters:

1. For internet access, the port needs to be VLAN tagged 10

2. For IPTV, the port neess to be VLAN tagged 20, Priority 4 and with dot1q enabled.

So this is what I have done.

screenshot20120815at925.png

g1 - connected to ISP modem

g3 - connected to WAN port of my WNDR3700 router running DD-WRT

g8 - connected to the set top box for IPTV

Now my question is how do I bridge the LAN of my WNDR3700 with the other unused ports of the Cisco SLM2008T (g3, g4 - g7)? Basically I need the ports of Cisco SLM2008T to obtain an IP via DHCP from the WNDR3700. I understand one way is to connect a cable between the LAN port of the WNDR3700 with any of the SLM2008T but this is not possible as the devices are in separate locations and I have only 1 CAT5e cable running between them which is already used for the WAN port of WNDR3700.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

3 Replies 3

pjmonline
Level 1
Level 1

Int gi 2 thru 7 needs to have switch port access vlan10 for Internet access. You may have to plug the cable into a regular LAN port on the wireless router instead of the wan port.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Thanks for the reply.

I need the wireless router to have a WAN IP address as I'm using it to connect to a dynamic DNS service. By connecting it via the LAN port, the router will be given a LAN IP right and I will not be able to use the router's DD-WRT to connect to the dynamic DNS?

By having gi 2 thru 7 access vlan10, will the devices connected to the ports be able to obtain a LAN IP from the router's DHCP? Or will the IPs be WAN IPs?

chris.monk
Level 1
Level 1

This switch is a layer 2 switch. Without an additional cable, what you are wanting to do isn't possible.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco