cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Buying Routers off eBay.

ddevecka
Level 1
Level 1

I am looking to buy a 3945 and a 3925 router off eBay for a production network. Can I get Smartnet on these units once I purchase them? I saked our Cisco Rep and they said now because eBay is a grey area. However looks like people are selling smartnet on eBay. Anyway I am trying to figure out what to do so I don't get burnt. I think if I buy the gear from s Cisco Authorized re-seller I am good to go, but if I buy from lets say a person I can't get smartnet.

Anyway can anyone offer any additional information on this?

Thanks,

Dan

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

buchholr
Level 1
Level 1

For a production network, NEVER!

Anything not sold through a authorized reseller is grey market at best.  Cisco's licensing for IOS is not transferable, so you would have to buy a license for the IOS through a reseller.  Also, to get Smartnet, you might have to pay to have the gear inspected before they will cover it. 

At worst, you could end up with black market gear.  Knockoff equipment from foreign countries.  Cisco won't even acknowledge you with this gear. 

If you are looking to save a little money, talk to your Cisco reseller about Cisco Authorized Refurbished  equipment.

Hope this helps

Rob

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

buchholr
Level 1
Level 1

For a production network, NEVER!

Anything not sold through a authorized reseller is grey market at best.  Cisco's licensing for IOS is not transferable, so you would have to buy a license for the IOS through a reseller.  Also, to get Smartnet, you might have to pay to have the gear inspected before they will cover it. 

At worst, you could end up with black market gear.  Knockoff equipment from foreign countries.  Cisco won't even acknowledge you with this gear. 

If you are looking to save a little money, talk to your Cisco reseller about Cisco Authorized Refurbished  equipment.

Hope this helps

Rob

Dan

I agree with Rob. I have seen description of getting equipment inspected to qualify it for smartnet but I have not known anyone who has gone through that process. I suspect that what you would spend in time, trouble, and direct expense to prepare the equipment and to get it inspected would eat up a lot of the money that you "saved" by buying on Ebay.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thanks to both of you. I also see them selling Smartnet and my direct contact at Cisco said intersting and that they have never seen that before. I will just stear clear of ebay.

Thanks,

Dan

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card