cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

switching question - 3560

dkblee
Level 1
Level 1

hi! Is there any limit on the number of 3560  edge switches i can daisy chain using  etherchannel? Currently i've 6 switches, i would like to connect another 2 switches. This setup is running on  flat network. Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

If you mean can you have each 3560 uplinked to the 4500 then yes absolutely that would work and incidentally wouldbe a much better design than daisy chaning switches because with a daisy chain each switch in the chain is single point of failure.

Jon

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

kapathak
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You should be able to add more switches and setup an etherchannel between them just fine unless there is some other concern that you might have.

hi! thx for the reply. To add on to the question above, Can i've a 4503 main edge switch with 2x 3506 edge switches or more from different closets with the uplink to the 4503 switch? This setup is in the flat network environment, with a firewall connected to the main edge switch as a gateway. Will that work? Thx.

If you mean can you have each 3560 uplinked to the 4500 then yes absolutely that would work and incidentally wouldbe a much better design than daisy chaning switches because with a daisy chain each switch in the chain is single point of failure.

Jon

Good point Jon!  (+5)

Daisy-chaining switches (even with etherchannel) is poor design because it introduces that dreaded single point of failure.

You may think you can live with it... Right up until the moment it fails.

When you're dancing on the Director's carpet, you'll wish you did it right.

Ven Taylor
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card