cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

c3560cx Bootloader not loading via xmodem or usbflash drive - What to do with a brick

tedburns77
Level 1
Level 1

A new c3560cx and the nvram and flash were cleared. So the "switch:" bootloader prompt shows up on power up because the BOOT env var doesn't point to a valid image.

Reading the doc's I find the copy xmodem: flash:<imagename> command. Need to set BAUD to 115200 in bootloader and terminal app that supports xmodem. 

Problem is I've tried many BAUD rate's and many terminal apps, none of which work. Bauds tried 11520, 57600, 38400, 9600. Terminal Apps, Extra Putty, Tera Term and Hyperterminal. All do basically the same thing,

That is after the copy xmodem: flash: command the <enter> key is pressed, however the cursor doesn't move. Wait long enough after typing switch: copy xmodem: flash:c3560cx-universalk9-mz.152-7.E2.bin

and you get:

Begin the Xmodem or Xmodem-1K transfer now...
CCCCCCCCCCxmodem:: I/O error

All at the same instant, not one line at a time. No time to start the xmodem transfer.

So I attempted to start xmodem transfer at random time once I hit <enter>. Got the 57600 baud to start and go all the way through. Then the characters of the transfer started to fly by on the screen until Windows crash. 

After several attempts of xmodem transfer I tried the usbflash drive. With a format of 1GB FAT 16K blocks with out any luck. The command switch: dir usbflash0:/

returns unable to stat usbflash0://: unknown error

Any ideas to get an image on the flash: would be great!

3 Replies 3

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@tedburns77 wrote:
switch: dir usbflash0:/

The correct syntax should be "dir usbflash0:".

pieterh
VIP
VIP

That is after the copy xmodem: flash: command the <enter> key is pressed, however the cursor doesn't move. Wait long enough after typing switch: copy xmodem: flash:c3560cx-universalk9-mz.152-7.E2.bin

and you get:

Begin the Xmodem or Xmodem-1K transfer now...
CCCCCCCCCCxmodem:: I/O error

My guess here is this is caused by the serial interface.
the "Begin the Xmodem or Xmodem-1K transfer now..." should appear immediately
do you use a computer with integrated serial interface? or an usb-to-serial adapter? -> try another adapter
and you need to start the terminal side Xmodem transfer within the first 3 to max 5 C's.
about usb drives, Cisco devices do not accept all brands of usb drives.
if the message about inserting the usb drive did not appear when inserting , obviously it is not recognized.

did you use the "flash_init" command before accessing the usb drive, or xmodem download?
if you did not use this you have limited commands regarding the flash (it is not writeable)

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card