cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

c3750-X vs c4849 or c4849E

halogensoftware
Level 1
Level 1

I've seen some discussion on this topic before, but one thing that I would like to know more

about is the shared memory buffer and the low latency caracteristics of these two switches.

The 4948 and 4948E have a single shared memory space that eliminates the need to perform

mutiple copies within the switch to process L2 or L3 traffic routing, even for multicast traffic as well.

Does the 3750X has this same capability ? am I more focused on the performance side of things as

I'm going to use this switch as our core switch. Which one should I choose ?

Thanks in advance,

Alex.

3 Replies 3

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Neither model is considered a core switch but given the choices, I like redundancy in a network.

The 3750-X gets the edge because you can stack them.

To answer your question, the 3750-X does not have the same memory capabilities. It's designed for the access layer.

Regards,

Edison.

Hi Edison,

I totally agree w/ you, but right now, our core is a 3750G and since we're planning a new datacenter, where

the core will be a proper one, probably a 6500, this leaves me w/ a limited budget to fix our current environment.

That's why I'm looking at these choices.

Thanks again,

Alex.

The question I'd like to ask is how many switches would you need for your core?

One thing I like about the 3750X is that it supports StackWise Plus and Power Stack.

I can't say for the 4948/E if they share this feature but the 3750X also has USB console support, a management port of OoBM, and a USB slot for data transfer to a USB stick.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card