cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

C4510R+E - Boot Slave Switch without booting Master Switch?

bp.2
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

After a mistake when upgrading the IOS on my C4510R+E, the standby supervisor booted into ROMMON, but the supervisor booted like normal. I consoled into the standby, copied the new IOS from usb to the flash and booted, but it rebooted the whole stack. Is there a way to boot only one of the switches? I know you can reload only one switch, but can you do the same when just using the boot command?

Thanks!

3 Replies 3

pman
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi,

you wrote "Is there a way to boot only one of the switches" so i guess you meant one from the modules?

hw-module module <module number> reset

Thank you for the reply.

Can this be done from ROMMON or is there a similar command in ROMMON that will only boot the standby and not reboot the active supervisor as well?

Sorry I should have worded the original question better.

Before you make any changes please take a look at the following link so you know how to Perform a Software Upgrade:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/12-2/20ew/configuration/guide/config/RPR.html#wp1104060

• the hw-module module <module number> reset command reset the module by turning the power off and then on from the CLI 
  • You can use the "redundancy reload peer" command to reload the standby supervisor engine and bring it back online (running the new version of the Cisco IOS software)

Before reloading the standby supervisor engine,
         make sure you wait long enough to ensure that all
         configuration synchronization changes have completed.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card