Views
Helpful
Replies

C6840-X VSS

camo
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We have two C6840-X-LE-40G, with 40x10G SPF+  and 2x40G QSFP ports.

1. Can we make a VSL using only 2x10G from each of these two switch (without using the 40G SUP card)?

2. Can a VSL be make using only one link in the port-channel?

7 Replies 7

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If I understand corectly you like to use Link card port for VSL- if this is correct Answer is NO.

Since your supervisor boot first and later Line card will be coming online, Supervisor required to check VSS peer device

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Thanks sir.

Can a VSL be make using only one link in the port-channel?
The switch has a SUP with 2x40G ports. can we use only one of them.

Suggest VSS design always 2 Links(so you will not have split-brain due to link loss in a production environment), instead of using 40GB links, you can use 2 X 10GB links

BB

I thought from your first answer that I can not use the 10GB links.
can I use them for the VSS (VSL)?

You can use 10GB - onboard supervisor ports - not the Line card for VSL.

BB

Hello,

Ports on linecard also can be used for VSL, without using ports on supervisor.

As I mentioned:

1. Yes, you can use 10G and 40G ports on particular linecards for VSL, without using ports on supervisor, though it's not recommended due to possible split-brain scenario. VSL ports are special type ports and they are initialized before even full bootup.

2. Yes, you can use single link within Port-channel for VSL, though again, it's not recommended due to redundancy issues.

You can check VSL hardware requirements here:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/15-5SY/config_guide/sup6T/15_5_sy_swcg_6T/virtual_switching_systems.html#pgfId-1053927

vb10
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Please, find my comments below:

1. Yes, you can use 10G and 40G ports on particular linecards for VSL, without using ports on supervisor, though it's not recommended due to possible split-brain scenario. VSL ports are special type ports and they are initialized before even full bootup.

2. Yes, you can use single link within Port-channel for VSL, though again, it's not recommended due to redundancy issues.

You can check VSL hardware requirements here:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/15-5SY/config_guide/sup6T/15_5_sy_swcg_6T/virtual_switching_systems.html#pgfId-1053927

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card