cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

C9300 Day 0 Configuration

justin_m
Level 1
Level 1

EDIT 13-Jan-2020 - I found an ideal solution for my issue with the help of the posts below and a lot of searching around the Cisco documentation. In my case, I wanted to get back to the WebUI's "Day 0 configuration" tool to attempt to configure the switch that way rather than through command line. Here's what I did:

• Obtained a console cable (in my case I strung together a USB-to-DB9 converter, an RS485 interface to get from DB9 to RJ45, and finally an ethernet cable) and connected to the rear RJ45 console port of my Catalyst 9300 switch.
  • Used PuTTY to connect to the switch's console
  • Performed a factory reset of the switch (link to Cisco doc explaining how to do this). When the switch powers back on it'll be in ROMMON mode.
  • Downloaded a copy of the IOSXE software from Cisco's website (in my case version 16.09.04) and loaded it onto a USB memory stick
  • Plugged the stick into the front USB-A port of my switch
  • Again from the console/ROMMON mode, performed an emergency-install command of:
    • emergency-install usbflash0:[filename of your cat9k_iosxe... file]
  • The emergency-install command does its thing and when the switch finally finishes booting, the console will give the "Would you like to enter the initial configuration dialog?" prompt. At this point don't type anything into console, go follow the normal directions for setup using the WebUI (login with webui/serial number).

What makes this fix work for me is that is clears the stored configuration files in NVRAM and re-installs the IOS software completely. There was even a console message following the emergency-install saying "Checking backup nvram / No config present. Using default config". That was a very satisfying message to see, in my case.

Thanks to the several folks who helped me troubleshoot this. Hopefully future googlers will find the above helpful.

---- original message below ----

Hello,

I have a brand new, fresh out of the box Cisco C9300-48T-E-V02 switch running IOS 16.9.4 software. I have been following the Cisco Catalyst 9300 Series Switches Hardware Installation Guide to set it up, and was in the process of Chapter 7, "Configuring the Switch Using the Web User Interface".

When I reached the end of the Day 0 configuration wizard, I was met with a message that my session had timed out and I would need to login again. When I attempted to login again, the login credentials (username: webui, password: serial number of switch) were rejected.

Is there any way to "reset" the switch such that I can run the Day 0 configuration wizard again? I have the ability to connect to the switch through the console and have successfully been able to enter CLI commands (note I did not connect to the console until *after* I was locked out of the web interface).

Any guidance would be appreciated, thank you.

-Justin

16 Replies 16

Great Justin,

Your welcome.

Please, mark the response with a valid solution.

Thank you.

Lucas, while your reply was certainly helpful, it unfortunately was not a solution to the problem I'm having. I marked your post as Helpful but not as a solution. Thanks again!
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card