Views
Helpful
Replies

C9300 Gi0/0 Port

GRANT3779
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi All,

I have a query on how a stack of C9300s handle the OOB Gi0/0 Port?

Once the stack is built there is only one Gi0/0 interface in the config. If I put an IP under this interface how does the stack treat this port in the event of a switch failure within the stack?

If I assign an IP to Gi0/0 within my stack, is it case of patching all three Gi0/0 ports and the switch I get connected to is always the Active one in the stack?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

That is correct. You connect all 3 Gi0/0 port to your out-of-band management switch and put them all in the same vlan with port fast enabled but you only configure one IP on the stack master.  When the stack master fails, the other Gi0/0 will take over the management.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst9300/software/release/16-6/configuration_guide/int_and_hw/b_166_int_and_hw_9300_cg/b_166_int_and_hw_9300_cg_chapter_010.pdf

HTH

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

That is correct. You connect all 3 Gi0/0 port to your out-of-band management switch and put them all in the same vlan with port fast enabled but you only configure one IP on the stack master.  When the stack master fails, the other Gi0/0 will take over the management.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst9300/software/release/16-6/configuration_guide/int_and_hw/b_166_int_and_hw_9300_cg/b_166_int_and_hw_9300_cg_chapter_010.pdf

HTH

Deepak Kumar
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

In a stack with only stack switches, all the Ethernet management ports on the stack members are connected to a switch (all ports are in the same VLAN)  to which the PC is connected. The active link is from the Ethernet management port on the through the switch, to the PC. If the active switch fails and a new active switch is elected, the active link is now from the Ethernet management port on the new active switch to the PC.

Regards,

Deepak Kumar

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,
Don't forget to vote and accept the solution if this comment will help you!
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card