Views
Helpful
Replies

C9400 -- VSL and Dual-active Detection Link

whistleblower14
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

I have a question about the interconnection for two C9400-48P to form a virtual stack... if I understood correctly, the VSL Link itself can only be formed through the 10G OR 40G Ports on the SUP but what`s with the Dual-Active Link Detection Part, because when I´d use both 40G for that, the 8x 10G ports have to be disabled and are not free to use, so do I´ve to use a Line-Card for the Dual-Active Link Detection or can I use the integrated Mgmt-Ethernet Ports as well?

greets

4 Replies 4

nazimkha
Level 4
Level 4
The configuration guide says 1G interface can also be used for dual-active link detection
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst9400/software/release/16-9/configuration_guide/ha/b_169_ha_9400_cg/configuring_cisco_stackwise_virtual.pdf
you can use ports on the line card module to configure the link

thank you for the response!

may you know also if it's possible to use the Ethernet Mgmt interfaces for this as well?

if not, is there a recommendation of how much link (lag) bandwidth should be used for vsl and the dual-active detection?

Hi,

For VSL, 2 10Gig is more than enough bandwidth, as the link should not be used much if VSS is configured correctly.

As for the dual-active detection link, a 1gig link is sufficient. If the switches are closed to one another, simply use a copper port (not the mgmt interface) and connect the switches back-to-back.

HTH

Hello Reza,

Regarding the copper links for Dual-active detection, I tried this and the stackwise-virtual command is not available under interface configuration. Have you been able to do this? Were you trying with fast hello or pagp?

Thanks,
Shameer

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco