cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cabling stacked switches

klambert1218
Level 1
Level 1

I have two 3750x switches that are stacked and operating only at Layer 2; while they are both 48-port switches, I have fewer than 30 hosts in total. Presently I have only populated the ports on the master switch. My thoughts all along were since the switches were stacked, all the switching would take place on the backplane, and if the stack master fails, the slave will be able to takeover without physical intervention. Now I'm not so sure. I need the experts to help me out on this. So my questions are:

Do I have an acceptable set up for what I am trying to accomplish?

If not, how can I maximize availability and redundancy in this scenario?

As you can probably tell, I am new to stacked switches, but I am hoping that someone before me has had this same dilemma. If not, I'm going to feel really stupid.

Thanks in advance for your input.

2 Replies 2

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

My thoughts all along were since the switches were stacked, all the switching would take place on the backplane, and if the stack master fails, the slave will be able to takeover without physical intervention.

That's the main idea for the development and selling point of the 3750.

Say if you have a server with dual (or more) NICs then I would cable NIC1 to switch stack 1 and NIC2 to switch stack 2 (or whatever combo you want). 

Exactly, you should put server with a NIC on each switch in case one fails. The server should have their NICs teamed (if Microsoft) or bonded (if Linux) - it's the same just different terminology.

This is just redundant design to avoid downtime.

Regards,

Ian

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card