cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can anybody finaly explain "system mtu routing" for c3560?

Hello,

what does this command "system mtu routing" exatly do?

If I have one router with interfaces supported only  MTU 1500 (c2600) and second router with MTU up to 9000 (c7200), how can  I configure the switch c3560 in between, speaking OSPF with both of them? The command "ip ospf mtu-ignore" doesn help here.

Thank you!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

maybe I'm a bit late to the party, but when searching  the interwebs for "system mtu routing" this thread is what pops up, so I  wanted to add a little more information:

Konstantin Dunaev wrote:

second, there is command "system mtu routing" which seems to be applyed  only

on L3 phisycal ports (no switchport) and not on the SVI. (but I  can't find any 100% clear

statement about it),. in my Lab "no  switchports" L3 ports has taken over the

"system mtu jumbo" settings, in  my case MTU 9000

The limitations of the platform in question would make no sense if system mtu routing would apply to routed ports, but at the same time would not apply to SVIs. The point here seems to be that the model line cannot fragment in hardware.  So to avoid that, it just makes sure every L3 interface (routed port  and SVI alike) has the same IP MTU, so there is never any need to  fragment a packet.

I've tested this in the lab using two 3560E chassis, trivially set up with the default VLAN, connected through Gigabit (so system mtu jumbo will apply) and then pinging each other's SVIs. Now let's configure the  following (using the maximum frame size the platform supports, there's  not much sense in limiting it here):

system mtu jumbo 9198

After rebooting, all physical ports running 1000Base or better will allow payloads of up to 9198 bytes to be encapsulated. The routing mtu will still be 1500 at this point. Try to ping one switch from the other like

ping 10.1.1.2 size 1500 df-bit

and it will succeed, but increasing size to 1501 will fail.

Now let's add:

system mtu routing 9000

to both switches and try again (no reboots needed). You will see that

ping 10.1.1.2 size 6000 df-bit

will suddenly work now, and the interface counters  will make clear that no fragmentation happens - it's really a single  6000 byte IP packet bouncing forth and back between the switches. That  works up to 9000, and starts failing at 9001, exactly as you would  expect.

Why is there a rumour that system mtu routing doesn't apply to SVIs? Probably because show interface of an SVI will show you an MTU of 1500 (or whatever your system mtu is), while the same command applied to a routed port will show 9000.  This seems to be a glitch, as so often with interface MTU in show  commands. More specifically, the show interface MTU is  supposed to be the potential payload MTU of the underlying physical  interface of that routed interface, and there are other cases where it  displays rubbish. One should always compare to the IP MTU as given by show ip interface. Et voila: The IP MTU of our SVI (as given through show ip int vl1) displays as 9000. So the succeeding ping is not a mystery and system mtu routing does exactly what it intuitively states: Change the IP MTU of every L3 interface of the platform.

I know this won't help in cases like the one discussed  here, where supposedly two L3 interfaces running at different MTUs are  needed. In such cases, one should first reassure that what's needed is  really that and there's no way to redesign the setup to avoid that (by  placing L3 and L2 boundaries appropriately). If there is no way around  that, the 3560 will likely have to go for something that has  per-interface IP MTU, like the 49xx or 4500X platforms.

Discussions about MTU often mix up different problems  and lead to chaos. IMO this is because two things are often not regarded  to the necessary extent by the participants:

1. There is not one MTU. When talking about MTU, always define  the layer you consider. That's often hard because you actually have to  think about a layer boundary, so two layers are involved. The mythical  1500 for instance is the L3 MTU on top of a classic L2 of the Ethernet  family. Things fundamentally change when you discuss L2 MTUs with regard  to some underlying L1 (but things are easier here, as L1+L2 are often  developed together as one technology, while the boundary between  technology layers and the network layer has more degees of freedom).
  2. MTU  doesn't exist as such, but is an emerging concept. In other words, MTU  is what everybody in a system of communicating nodes (typically a  broadcast domain) thinks it is, with the emphasis on everybody.  In that sense it's like the IP network that lives on top of a broadcast  domain - it doesn't exist per se, but by convention of everybody using  that broadcast domain as a bearer for IP packets sourced from  non-colliding adresses from the same visibility range (aka prefix, aka  network and netmask, in ancient times aka subnet/subnetmask). MTU is a  convention as well, a single node just changing its MTU (up or down from  the convention, that is, what everybody else uses) is a recipe for  disaster. That's why you don't do it except you know exactly what you  are doing, and have the might to change it everywhere in a broadcast  domain (every involved intermediate network device and every end node).  It's viral. Luckily it's not as widespread as the viral issue of people  configuring ports full duplex because that's what they always did,  introducing duplex mismatches up and down and then telling you that as  obviously auto negotiation doesn't work, they will continue this  practice. You see the common scheme: Breaking a convention is a bad  idea, unless you are the sole dictator.

HTH,

Andre.

Message was edited by: Me Tried to remove the worst formatting issues introduced by this forum software. Can't fix the random position my answer was inserted into, instead of under the posting I replied to. Why everybody is trying to replace Usenet with something that isn't half as decent is beyond me (ranting mostly because I was logged out in the middle of writing that post and almost lost it).

View solution in original post

27 Replies 27

Latchum Naidu
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

the "system mtu routing" command to configure the MTU size on routed ports.

And for your rest of the questions, please see the below link may hel you....
http://www.andovercg.com/datasheets/cisco-3560-catalyst-datasheet.pdf

Please rate the helpfull posts.

Regards,
Naidu.

Does this command  really apply only to "routed ports" (I suppose the ports with "no switchport" command) ?

Does the SVI (interfece vlan XXX) affected by this command?

In PDF I couldn't find any usefull info about OSPF, it's only some kind of overview.

Hi,

This command can be applied only on layer 3 interfaces ie routed ports.

I checked in the lab the command is not supported on the SVI.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750/software/release/12.2_35_se/configuration/guide/swint.html

You cannot configure a routing MTU size that exceeds the system MTU size. If you change the system MTU size to a value smaller than the currently configured routing MTU size, the configuration change is accepted, but not applied until the next switch reset. When the configuration change takes effect, the routing MTU size automatically defaults to the new system MTU size.

HTH.

Regards,

Swati

Please rate helpful posts

ranraju
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Just found another link which might as well be helpful..

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3560/software/release/12.2_25_see/command/reference/cli3.html#wp1948947

I would suggest you to go through this link it has a good expanation..

also on the 3560 switch you cannot specify the MTU on the interface basis, so when this command is applied globally on the switch it applies on all the 10/100 interfaces.. and not on gig interfaces.

Hope this helps..

Regards,

ranraju

thank you, but the same question has been arised, from the URL:

"You can use the system mtu routing command to configure the MTU size on routed ports."

does it mean that this command applys only on routed ports and doesn't affect SVI (interfca vlan) interface?

In my installytion I don't have any routed ports, they are all L2 ports and routing is done with help of SVI's .

Let sey "interface VLAN10" is connected to c2600 with MTU 1500 and

"interface VLAN20"  is connected to c7200 with MTU 9000

If I increase "system mtu" on c3560 then  OSPF connection with c2600 bacomes unstable, if I keep MTU 1500 then I get the problem on OSPF adjacency with c7200.

Yes, you need to give the "no switchport" to become routed ports.

And, a "routed port" on a 3750 is mostly just an SVI on a internal VLAN with only one port in it. So there isn't really all that much difference

Please rate the helpfull posts.

Regards,
Naidu.

To  add to my above answer if you are changing MTU on one device you should change it on all the devices in path of the packet ,beacuse if one devices passes the packet with MTU with greater than 1500 , the other device will report packet as gaint and might drop it if the MTU configured on other switch is default at 1500.

Regards,

Swati

Please rate helpful posts

yes, it's true about, that  MTU should be same on the whole path.

But let say c3560 and c7200 are building the backbone, all device in backbone support mtu 1600.

but the c2600 are connected as like "stub" network to c3560 and don't be used for forwarding of backbone traffic, c2600 are building more like "out of managment" access and they get only partly OSPF routing information from c3560.

Hi Konstantin,

"system mtu routing ###" affects SVIs as well. Please see below:

SW_1#sh system mtu

System MTU size is 1508 bytes <<------

System Jumbo MTU size is 1508 bytes

Routing MTU size is 1500 bytes

SW_1#sh int vlan 1

Vlan1 is up, line protocol is up

Hardware is EtherSVI, address is 0025.4553.7940 (bia 0025.4553.7940)

MTU 1508 bytes, BW 1000000 Kbit, DLY 10 usec,   <<------

reliability 255/255, txload 1/255, rxload 1/255

Encapsulation ARPA, loopback not set

Keepalive not supported

ARP type: ARPA, ARP Timeout 04:00:00

Last input 00:01:36, output never, output hang never

Last clearing of "show interface" counters never

Cheers,

Shashank

Please rate helpful and correct posts.

yes i agree to the same.. it applies on for the SVIs on the switch aswell..

But you might want to make a note of this.. to change the MTU for the switch you could use the command "system mtu size" on the global config mode and it gets applied on all the interfaces including SVIs... but you dont get this flexibility using "system mtu routing" - which will default the mtu size to 1500 for all the layer 3 interfaces on 3560...

Hope this helps..

Regards,

ranraju

Hmm, do I see something different :

SW_1#sh system mtu

System MTU size is 1508 bytes <<------

System Jumbo MTU size is 1508 bytes

Routing MTU size is 1500 bytes

SW_1#sh int vlan 1

Vlan1 is up, line protocol is up

Hardware is EtherSVI, address is 0025.4553.7940 (bia 0025.4553.7940)

MTU 1508 bytes, BW 1000000 Kbit, DLY 10 usec,   <<------

The "system mtu routing" in your case is still 1500, but "system mtu" is 1508 , and SVI has got the "system mtu" value, not the "system mtu routing"

Hi Konstantin,

Yes that is right. ALL ports including the SVIs get their MTU value from the "system mtu" command.  "system mtu routing"  value CANNOT have a greater value than the "sytem mtu" value.

This means that in case you have system mtu = 1516, you cannot set system routing as 1518 unless you increase the system mtu value to 1518 or higher.

Hope this helps,

Shashank

Shashank,

Pardon me but I have a feeling that you have not answered Konstantin's original query, and this has slightly confused me as well.

You have yourself stated that the system mtu routing setting affects all Layer3 interfaces including SVIs. However, Konstantin indicated that the SVI MTU follows the system mtu command, not the system mtu routing - so how does the system mtu routing apply to SVIs after all?

Best regards,

Peter

Hi Peter,

thank you, because I was confusing

But to get the things much more confusing, the  command "system mtu routing" doesn't affect MTU on L3 (no switchport ) Gigabit interface  at all.

It means that on c3560G this command does no changes nad make no difference.

But problem with OSPF  is still there and I simply can't configure the router c2600 to use MTU 1546 or connect it to some other device.

Is there any possibility to force OSPF process to use a cirtain MTU value or let the OSPF packets fragmented?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card