cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can I use the Nexus switch as a core switch? If not, why can't I use?

What is the difference between the Nexus Switch and the Catalyst Switch? Why don't I use the Nexus switch as a core switch?

8 Replies 8

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Its all depends on the use case and requirement.

Nexus switches are design to be used in Datacenter, and Catalyst meant to use in Enterprise Campus Lan

you need to compare the features and other stuff when you looking to use nexus as Core switches.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

I need a more specific answer. Someone asked me this question, but I cannot find any proper source for this answer. Can anyone please help me find this answer?

- These days , the nexus platform is considered outdate for core use ; checkout
           https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/switches/switch-selector.html?guide=enterprise-e|new-e|core-e

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

The price is different' NSK is more expensive' and if you decide to use nexus the  no need core and distribute and access SW topolgy you can use NSK for leaf and spine.

MHM

I need a more specific answer. Someone asked me this question, but I cannot find any proper source for this answer

the answer is clear Why not use it if that is what your intent.

If some one asked, then you need to ask use case - technically speaking everything is possible, but depends on use case and technicalities need to look, is this fit for the purpose.

Reach out Local Cisco partner or  Cisco sales team is for better answer.

BB

hi,

you want to use a nexus switch if you've got SAN and server farm.

you also leverage vPC which is used in nexus platform.

catalyst use VSS in bigger platforms, 6500, 9300, 9500 etc.

catalyst use VSS in bigger platforms, 6500, 9300, 9500 etc.

9300 - do not support VSS (aka SVL)

BB

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Sure, you can use a Nexus as an Enterprise core.

You can also use it as a distribution layer device, access layer device, WAN router, etc.  Conversely, for L3 needs, you can use routers or Catalyst L3 switches in different roles too, other than their targeted roles.

Basically, different Cisco devices have features that lend themselves for different usage roles.  Catalyst L3 switches' features are "better" (usually) for Enterprise LANs while Nexus are "better" (usually) for Data Centers.  (Historical trivia, we had DCs before there was Nexus.  We also had networks before there were L3 switches, and even Cisco devices.  So, consider, why anyone bothered to start using such.  Usually because such devices, or Cisco's devices, were considered "better".)

If you would like a list of actual feature differences, it would take a while to compile.  You would also need to specify which Catalyst and Nexus series you're comparing, also specific models with possibly specific installed hardware components along with specific OS and feature licenses.  (Laugh, the only attribute I've usually found easy to compare is cost, and that, alone, often is not very helpful beyond being restricted by it.)

Unfortunately, although your question is simple (and reasonable), beyond the simple answer that (usually) a Catalyst would be "better" for an Enterprise core than a Nexus, a detailed answer is not simple.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card