Views
Helpful
Replies

can I use two default route in a router

iqbalkhan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I have a router which have two isp line.

I want connected two differnt remote site by two isp line.

now i have one default and another static.

i can use two default route like this ?

0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 201.222.103.x 0

0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 201.221.102.y 1

Thanks

Biplobk2000@yahoo.com

6 Replies 6

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

hi

Pls do check out whether this helps u out.

Assume you have your remote subnets as following

Site A : a.a.a.0/24

Site B : b.b.b.0/24

Serial 0 : connected to ISP 1

Seial 1 : connected to ISP 2

and now if you want to route Site A network via ISP-1 and Site B via ISP-2 then point the same like this .

ip route a.a.a.0 255.255.255.0 serial 0

ip route b.b.b.0 255.255.255.0 serial 1

i feel this will help u out in achieving what you are trying to do so..

but also tell me wheter you wanted to have your default traffic to be passed on both the links for load balancing or for any kinda reduandcy ?

if you want to have the same then you can configure 2 default routes without mentionining any admin distance at the end of the statment.

regds

Hi spremkumar

thanks for your advice. yes if i use two static then its ok.

but if i use two default gateway then.

Head office --isp1---remote1(192.168.10.0)

head office---isp2----remote2(192.168.20.0)

----remote1

Remote 1: 192.168.10.0/24

remote 2:192.168.20.0/24

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 serial 0 (ISP 1)

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 serial 1 (ISP2)

1. when i ping remote 1 then it pass Isp1

2. when I ping remote 2 then it pass ISP2

if any reason ISP not up or down then all data pass through ISP2.

May be u understand

Thanks

biplob

hi

I feel you wanted to know if you have 2 default routes already in place and about the impact if you put network specific routes.

In this case you can have both the default routes in place in addition to the network specific static routes as i mentioned in my first mail.

Since the most specific route will be used the traffic destined to your remote networks will flow accordingly as per your ip route statements.

If your first link goes down the default route pointing the ISP-1 and the network sepcific route pointing the ISP-1 will go off and by default all the traffic will flow via the second interface which is connected to ISP-2 the behaviour is viceversa if your link to ISP-2 goes down.

By this you will be atleast having some kinda reachability in case of any issues with the corresponding ISPs which is being used to reach the remote network than getting totally disconnected from the remote sites.

regds

dathaide
Level 1
Level 1

will the isp have to do the same on there side though, i.e pointed 2 static routes to both of your routers ?

Hi carl

The reverse route for your local lan address space should be there in the SP side too to have the traffic flow on both the links.

regds

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: