cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can someone help me with setting up vlans?

E F
Level 1
Level 1

So I have an assignment where I have to configure vlans. I know the commands to configure vlans but I am still confused as to how exactly they work, like I get confused when to use a trunk port or when to use an access, how to set up subinterfaces and stuff like that. I have the vlans made on the switch, but linking them to other devices and getting it to work is where I get confused. Doesn't help that the directions for the assignment are vague. I am trying to set up vlans between 1 router, 1 switch, 1 PC, 1 server, 1 vmware virtual PC and 2 vmware virtual servers. The goal is to be able to reach a web page. If you want to see the directions for the assignment, here they are:

"Segment your network into 5 vlans with the following systems:
Classroom client computers
Virtual Client computers
Servers
Cisco devices
Parking lot

Configure vlans on physical switches as needed.
Configure Virtual switches on both VMware hosts that include all required vlans.
Configure the router to route between vlans with ROAS.
Configure trunk ports as needed.
Connect the unused router port to the TS Switch.
Configure that port with the IP Address 172.16.1.<number>
Configure route to the 172.16.2.0/24 network via 172.16.1.50
Make sure you can access the web page at 172.16.2.100
Configure DHCP on the non-radius Windows Server to supply addresses to both client vlans."

17 Replies 17

It's not packet tracer I am just practicing on packet tracer but this assignment is being done physically in class. We are using servers with esxi

Ah. Yeah it may benefit to ask in other forums about VMWare if that’s what’s needed. Also if you if you would make sure to mark any posts as helpful or solved if anything fixed your issues to help others in the community if they have the same problem.

Ok thanks

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card