cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can't access SG300-52P Using Console Port - Please help

the_walrus
Level 1
Level 1

Sorry for posting so many questions about issues with connecting to devices, and thank you in advance for all the help.

Okay, so I am trying to access a SG300-52P using the Console port (DB9 port on the back of the switch). I purchased a USB to RS232 Serial Cable (The cable I purchased) which has a Prolific PL-2303 RA chipset. The pinout for the adapter is:

1. Carrier
  2. Tx
  3. Rx
  4. DSR
  5. Gnd
  6. DTR
  7. CTS
  8. RTS
  9. Ring

It showed up in my device manager as COM5.  So I first configured my PuTTY settings as:

Serial: COM5

Baud: 9600

Data Bits: 8

Stop Bits: 1

Parity: None

Flow Control: None

I plugged in the switch and no response in PuTTY at all. Just a blank console window with the curser blinking in the top left. I also attempted to connect with all the same settings, but changing the Baud to 115200 in PuTTY. Still nothing.

I then double clicked the USB to serial Comm port in device manager to open the properties and made sure the settings in the "port settings" tab match the settings I used in PuTTY (I tried this both for Baud = 9600 & Baud = 115200) and still no response or anything in the PuTTY console window.

I a hoping to avoid doing a factory reset on the device, and I don't know the password to SSH into the switch (the last Network admin left without leaving any information or passwords or configurations or anything)  I have also tried the above steps with This Cable again, with no luck.

Does anyone have any advice or see anything that I messed up on with configuring PuTTY or with the cables?  Any help or advice at all would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

4 Replies 4

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Try the other baud rates like 38400 and 57600

HTH

I tried several other baud rates with no luck. I checked the pinout of the SG300 console port and the cable and they match so it shouldn't be the cable, right?

Do you have a second com port you can test with?

Also, does the new cable comes with a driver? If not, you can probably download and installed it and see if that makes a difference.

I can change the COM port that my computer assigns, and I did download the latest driver. I am attaching the advanced settings for the COM in the device manager to make sure it's correct.

SG300 COM advanced settings.PNG

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card