cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can't connect to the internet via the Cisco switch

Jackson26
Level 1
Level 1

We’ve got a connection problem in a office. A computer is plugged into port #35 on the Cisco switch (2960). It is connecting at 1GB speed.  It is not able to connect to the network or the internet.

But, when plugged into a Linksys switch it connects just fine to the network and internet. I can ping the pc via the Linksys but not via the Cisco switch.

This problem keeps popping up again and again in the office. Every time I put the pc in a different office the problem still persist.  I  checked out all the basics as usual – NIC settings, NIC driver (which we did update), cables, different ports in the Cisco switch, release & renew but nothing. We had the Cisco switch replaced before but the problem keeps coming back. Can anyone help?

4 Replies 4

IAN WHITMORE
Level 4
Level 4

That is odd. But you say you moved the PC between offices and it still persists? Is it always with the Cisco switches? Did you try fixing the speed & duplex settings on the switch and PC? Do you get anything in the log on the switch?

Hi,

Can you post running config of the 2960 as well as the router connected to it( which was connected to linksys).

Regards.

Alain.

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

Yes, the speed of the pc is connecting at 1GB and the Cisco switch is set at 1GB with full duplex. There's no error on the interfaces and I can't ping the PC via the Cisco switch but only through the Linksys if I plug it in that way.

Hi,

Please change the port settings at switch end to "auto" and also check IP address, subnet mask and DG they should be same as like other pc's.
Also turnoff the windows firewall in that PC and see.

Hope the above will help you.

Please click on the correct answer if thi answered you.
Regards,
Naidu.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card