cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can't ping a directly attached switch.

jorgeborges
Level 1
Level 1

I recently configured an access layer switch port for a new printer VLAN. I was able to ping the switch from the printer and vice versa no problem. I then configured another access switch with the new VLAN but am unable to ping the second printer connected to it. The configurations are exactly the same except the second switch had switchport security configured. I unset the security settings but am still unable to ping. I CAN ping the original printer from BOTH access switches. Does anybody have any ideas?

13 Replies 13

InayathUlla Sharieff
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Jorge,

Could you connect the printer to other spare port and apply the exact config as done on the 1st switch and let us know the result?

HTH

Inayath

Probably can't actually move the printer. I'm fairly certain it's not the printer itself because we put the IP address of the second printer on a laptop and plugged the laptop into the second switch and still couldn't ping.

Can you please share the respective configuration from both the switches and laptop ip address configured as well.

regards

Inayath

I would like to, but the network I manage them from is not connected to the internet for security purposes.

You must have a config as below :

SWA-PortA

switchport access vlan 28

SWB-PortB

switchport access vlan 29

SWCORE-PortC

switchport trunk allowed vlan 28,29

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport mode trunk

This config is exactly as you have in your switch ?

Hello

Have you configured management ip address on the switches with a default gateway?
Are these two switch's connected together via a  trunk port?

Are you also allowing your vlans pertaining to the printers and pcs across that trunk?
Do you have vtp enabled.

sh int trunk
sh vtp status
sh vlan brief

res

Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Yes the switches have a default gateway and management IP addresses. They aren't connected directly together but they do have trunk ports to the core switch-  yes, I added the vlan to the trunk. We are not using VTP. 

If there are policy reasons not to post the configs would you be able to post the output of these commands from both switches

show vlan

show interface trunk

show ip interface brief

show ip arp

show ip route

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Richard,

Unfortunately, I have no way to transfer the output of those results to a machine with internet connectivity. I can tell you that the VLAN in question, 28, is assigned to the correct interface and the interface shows as up/up. The show interface trunk lists vlan 28 as allowed and active and not pruned.

Both printer MAC addresses also show up in their respective MAC tables. The show ip arp for both show 2 identical IPs, plus their own.

Hello

Is this vlan 28 showing on  both switches in the vtp database

sh vlan brief

res

Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Martin Carr
Level 4
Level 4

What are the addresses and S/M of both printers?

Martin

I finally figured it out. A rarely used switch that was moved from another location had a duplicate VLAN number that was being trunked. Thanks for everyone's input.

I am glad to know that you have resolved the problem. Thank you for posting back to the forum and letting us know that it is solved and what the problem turned out to be.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card