Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can't ping a Directly Connected Switch

Hello,

Dears I have set-up a small network based on two cisco 2960xr switches with IP Lite IOS. what I am trying to achieve is to ping Sw2(IP: 192.168.101.2) from a directly connected PC (192.168.204.3) that is getting assigned with an IP address from a dhcp pool located in Sw1.

I can ping Sw1 from Sw2 and vice versa.

I can ping Sw1 from PC and vice versa.

but I can't ping PC from Sw2 and vice versa.

Representation.JPG

attached switch configuration for both switches.

Thank you for reading my post.

Abdulla

6 Replies 6

I am able to resolve half of the issue which is pinging PC from Sw2 which is by configuring vlan40 with an ip address. but the main thing I am trying to accomplish is to ping Sw2 from PC so that I can also telnet to it directly. currently Sw1 is working as if it is a bastion host "jump box" to telnet to Sw2.

Regards,
Abdulla

Hello Abdullah,

on SW1 you need to enable IP routing to make it work for inter vlan routing.

conf t

ip routing

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 <next-hop-address>

If your current IOS image and license does not allow for this you should use an external router with subinterfaces in vlan 10 and vlan 40 to achieve the desired behaviour.

Note: disabling ip route-cache cef under SVI interfaces is not a good idea and does not solve your issue.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hi Giuseppe,

Thank you so much for taking the time to view my case. issue has been resolved directly after defining the static route:

ip route any any 192.168.101.2   

. I also took your recommendation  not disable route-cache cef and will remember that in the future.

I am using the following IOS in my 2960xr switch which is a IP light version c2960x-universalk9-mz.152-2.E7/c2960x-universalk9-mz.152-2.E7.bin

Thank you again.

Abdulla

Martin L
VIP
VIP

Looks like you use L2 switches which do not do routing; L3 do routing,
L2 can only have 1 SVI UP UP ( interface VLan) , whereas L3 can have many.
once you have L3 switch , you must also have vlan in database matching SVI vlan.

Thank you for your reply Martin, you are absolutely correct. However, my IOS is (c2960x-universalk9-mz.152-2.E7/c2960x-universalk9-mz.152-2.E7.bin) which is a IP light version and accepts some L3 commands in which I was recommended above to define the static route and next hop destination which worked.

Sw1: 0.0.0.0 192.168.101.2      < which is my next hop

thanks for your reply.

Abdulla

oh, i thought u did this in PT software as picture shows PT icons.
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card